Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Administrator

(edited...)

Thomas Distributing now carries the Eneloop batteries:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2

Hello Steve,

I think Dennis should re-check his information...

I am aware that the Eneloop cells need to be shipped in refrigerated containers, but the reason is to eliminate the normal self discharge associated with NiMh cells. If these cells are kept below 38 C (not 38 F), they will be ready to use right out of the package without having to charge them first. At higher temperatures, their self discharge rate increases.

Since the freight from Japan comes into the port at LA, temperatures can often be up to 50 C or over inside the shipping containers. The impact of this is that these new cells would have to be charged before use, and that does not fit with their advertised capability of being able to use them right out of the package.

Sanyo did a series of tests at 20 C that indicated that the Eneloop cells would retain 85% of their initial capacity after 1 year of storage (at 20 C). You can view their press release here:

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...1/1101-2e.html

It appears that Sanyo is using a thicker separator (hence the lower mAh capacity) that is saturated with deionized water. This has the effect of shutting down the self discharge process. At higher temperatures, the electrolyte is more active and you end up with a normal self discharge rate. I am not aware of any permanent damage that is done if the cell is stored at higher temperatures, but it is possible.

I have been using them for the past 3 months at normal summer temperatures and have not seen any drop in performance. I have tested them extensively and they seem to be very good cells.The tests indicate that the self discharge rate starts off higher than they indicate, but I have not had them long enough to draw any long term conclusions. I plan to test out to 6 months at room temperature storage and then to re-evaluate after that.

At 1 monthof 20 C storagethey still had about 93% of their initial capacity. That is a vast improvement over normal NiMh cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:52 PM   #3

I have some eneloops and they're the best battery for cameras or anything that draws a lot of amps from batteries that you don't use up batteries in one session.

Use Sanyo 2700/Duracell 2650 charged immediate before your mission if you know you're going to be using it up in a day or two.

But if you charge it up and plan on using it up over the course of two weeks or so, the eneloop provides better service.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:15 PM   #4

Update:

I ran a test on some cells that were stored for 90 days at room temperature storage and they still had 88% of their initial capacity.

That is a great improvement over standard NiMh cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:49 AM   #5

Hi, was reading the comments on the eneloop and got some to try out. They're super cool and I find that I am not having to recharge all the time. Nothing worse than when you're going out with the fam, grab the camera and when the time is great to take that photo only to find out that the batts are dead again. With the eneloops theyre always ready to go.

At first I thought they were expensive, but am sure theys going to be a whole lot cheaper in the long run. and a lot more convenient too. Only theyre a bit hard to find. Did find a site that sells them at a fair price tho, http://www.amenterprises.com.au/shop...p-1-c-531.html -- can't see that theyre making any money though - or there's gotta be one heck of a markup at the shops that do sell em. also, ebay's got them too.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.
BB
blinkybill1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:06 AM   #6

I purchased my first set of eneloop batteries from a dealer in Singapore in July so I could test the shelf life characteristics. My set of 4 were manufactured in May 2006. I tested the capacity of the batteries 9/14/06 and found that even after sitting a month at room temperature the batteries are at 95% - 97% of rated capacity.

I did see a launch of the batteries in Australia and it was a cold event at -13C. The reason was to showthe batteries'low temperature performance. All the cameras they used at the kickoff were using eneloop batteries. Web link to launch is http://www.master-instruments.com.au...op_launch.html

Currently, the only US dealer actively selling the eneloop batteries that I have found is RitzCamera.com with a AA 4-pack at $11.99 which is about 40% cheaper than what I paid for my first set.
geodephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:15 AM   #7

Just to update this thread, I purchased 20 AA and 8 AAA Eneloop batteries from HHGREG in the US.

AA 4-pack for 9.99: http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...roductID=17285
AAA 4-pack for 7.99: http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...roductID=17284

Free shipping via UPS to United States.

Rob
RobSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:37 PM   #8

Wow! $10 delivered is the cheapest I have been able to find anywhere. I'm down for some. Thanks.
Carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:28 PM   #9

steve wrote:
Quote:
(This is from Dennis Thomas at Thomas-Distributing when I asked him if they were going to carry the Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries.)

When we were informed about this, we could not believe it - actually we laughed and wondered what idiot decided to release this technology before it was ready for Temperatures above 40F degrees. This in our opinion makes the Eneloop battery totally useless.
Eneloop @ Thomas-Distributing: :-)

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/s...tteries-aa.php
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:21 AM   #10

coppertrail wrote
Quote:
Eneloop @ Thomas-Distributing: :-)

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/s...tteries-aa.php
But at 50% more than HHGREG and not free shipping

RobSpook is offline   Reply With Quote