Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:55 PM   #1

This two hour exposure was taken a few years ago in Joshua Tree National Park, California.
Attached Images

dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:26 PM   #2

Wow! Was that taken with a digital camera or on film? The reason I ask is that most digital cameras don't have enough battery power to hold the shutter open that long.

Great shot. I would really like to visit the Joshua Tree National Park. How far east of Los Angeles is it? My wife has an aunt in Garden Grove that we visit occasionally and I am thinking that Joshua Tree would be a good day trip from LA.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Mag

Very Cool!
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:02 AM   #4

Dune,

After two hours and the digital noise is acceptable.. wow is right. Great job.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:20 AM   #5

very impressive..nice job!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:26 AM   #6

This image was shot using Kodachrome using one of my all time favorite cameras, the Pentax K1000, a mechanical shutter camera that was not dependant on batteries (except for the meter) and a Pentax f2.8, 28mm lens. I took it about 6 years ago. The digital camera I had back then (a Kodak with 1.3 megapixels) did not have the bulb capability nor the battery power to make such a long exposure.

Depending on traffic, Joshua Tree is about 3-4 hours from Los Angeles. The park is a haven for rock climbing and geology tours. Its worth the trip.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:39 PM   #7

That is a truly stunning picture! Someday I hope to be able to do that.

Joshua Tree is an amazing place, one of my favorite places to visit. Luckily I am only about an hour and half drive from there. From Garden Grove, you can make it to the park in about two and a half hours, if there's no traffic. Personally, I think you wouldwant to camp in Joshua Tree overnight, but you can do it in one LONG day trip. I recommend entering the park from Twentynine Palms. Most of the better areas of the park are towards that way.

If you are considering going out that way, I also recommend taking the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway up to Mt. San Jacinto State Park. The views from the top down to Palm Springs and the desert floor are breathtaking. Also, if you interested in some day-hiking, the park has miles and miles of great trails. I do multi-day hike/camps there a couple times a year, during the summer and fall. If you are there during the winter and catch some snow, it can be quite mindblowing to see snow, alpine forest and barren desert all in one shot.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments. Setting up a star trails shot is not at all difficult. All you need is a sturdy tripod and a cable release with a locking mechanism in order to keep the shutter open for long exposures. It is a good idea to compose the shot while there is still some light. Looking through the viewfinder at night is not the easiest thing to do for picture composition.

The picture was taken at the Jumbo Rocks campground during a field trip with some of our students during a reading break in February, 2000. We spent the night there in near freezing conditions! Using an old-fashioned mechanical camera works well under these conditions. No concern about battery failure at low temperatures.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:49 PM   #9

Wow...I've been lusting over doing an image like that. I tried it with my digital but for some reason, I couldn't seem to work the 'bulb' setting properly! Now that I've seen your image, I must try it again!!!! Good work, for sure!!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote