Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

Here are a couple scanned 35 mm negatives.

The first is a group of colored banners displayed occationally outside the Public Service Building in Hillsboro, OR. They also have a set of flags that they display on special occasions.

This shot should be familiar especially if you follow the activities of the Space Shuttle. This is the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral, FL. To give you an idea of the size of the flag, each star is six feet across and each stripe is wide enough to drive a tour bus on. According to the NASA website, 6000 gallons of paint were required to paint the flag and bicentenial emblem. The emblem has since been replaced with the NASA logo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:33 PM   #2

I like both shots, Cal. Very interesting piece of history behind the second photo. To be honest, that's a very unusual portrait of the American flag. The stars are located at the top upper right portion of the flag, which is like viewing the flag from inside of the building. It does not make a whole lot of sense to me.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:51 PM   #3

I think if you check the rules of flag etiquette, you will find that anytime the flag is displayed against a flat wall or surface, horizontal or vertical, the field is to be in the upper left corner. I don't think NASA would have spent all that money to paint the flag on the building only to get it wrong.

You can probably find the rules of flag etiquette online or in any Boy Scout or Cub Scout handbook.

Cal

Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:09 PM   #4

nice shots, i have been to cape canaveral very neat and educational place.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:42 PM   #5

Great photos, Cal. The first one is so colorful...I'd love to see them on a windy day!

That is one BIG flag NASA painted!!!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6

I did not mean the location of the flag on the building, Cal, but the position of the blue squarearea with the stars on the flag itself. If you look atan American flag from the front, the stars will be on the left upper corner of the flag, which is not the case on the painting. It just looks funny, that's all.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:29 AM   #7

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I did not mean the location of the flag on the building, Cal, but the position of the blue squarearea with the stars on the flag itself. If you look atan American flag from the front, the stars will be on the left upper corner of the flag, which is not the case on the painting. It just looks funny, that's all.
What are you talking about? The field of stars is in the upper left corner of the painted flag in Cal's picture.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8

OK, perhaps I don't understand how the flag has to be painted. Looking at the building from bottom up, I'd expect to see the field of stars right at the beginning of the painting as if I was looking at the flag vertically rather than horizontally, not at the end of the flag,close to the very top of the building. But, it doesn't matter. It's a good picture and as Cal said,NASA would not have it wrong.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:23 PM   #9

Tulio, take a look at the link GoCubs posted in the message above. It explains thing quite clearly. The flag on the VAB is correctly displayed with the blue field in the upper left as viewed by people outside the building.

Cal

Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:11 PM   #10

Got it, Cal. Thanks for the link, GoCubs. Items 1 and 8 under "How to Display the Flag" explains it. Always learning something here!!