Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1

This should be a fav for most of us. This week's challenge is the Setting Sun. Note I was very careful in calling the challenge "The Setting Sun" to avoid any possible confusion with "Sunset."

For the purposes of this challenge take a picture which shows either the "Setting Sun" or the effect of the "Setting Sun". The sun should be between approximately 6 degrees above the horizon and six degrees below the horizon. Trust me, I won't be using a protractor to judge the entries.

That gives us about 1/2 hour of photography time. For the purist, sunset is defined as when the trailing edge of the sun falls below the horizon and dusk is time from sunset till the sun falls six degrees below the horizon. Obviously the sun does not have to be visible in your shot but the shot should show that the sun is just about to set or dusk has arrived.

Sunsets can be spectacular anywhere. You don't have to be near water. Bob Hammitt's sunset shots from the prairies of Indiana are a joy to behold.

Be careful when making long exposures of the sun, you may lose a CCD.

As usual, no more than two entries per day per posting. Include "Setting Sun" in your topic title.

Here are some examples:

Last edited on Mon Sep 25th, 2006 09:04 pm by selvin

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links