Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1

I am not sure what happened here. I went into the editor to clear the email notification flag and I lost the entire messag. I will leave the replies in place since they state the gist of my original message.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:52 PM   #2

Selvin, when I heard the new the first thing I thought of was , I hope you and your family were ok, your in our thoughts!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:57 PM   #3

Thank Cal, I have been thinking of selvin and sent him a PM knowing that without power he would retrieve it when he could.

I hope you and your family are safe.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:14 PM   #4

Yes, Selvin, let us know that you're OK. Having lived in So. Calif. for many years, I know just how unnerving a nearby quake can be.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:44 AM   #5

Yes Selvin,

I'm also praying for you and those close to you there. May all be well with you. Hope to see a sign from you online when you can.

Best wishes

Paul (& my wife Tundi....we're just back from honeymoon, so we'll pray together for you!)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:46 PM   #6

I wish nothing but the best for you Selvin.* I hope you and everyone you know are okay.* Can't wait for your return and the once-in-a-lifetime pictures this event may opportune you once everything is safe again.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:19 AM   #7

Cal, Vanessa, Bob, Walter, Paul and Trudy and Illuminati,

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. This is by far one of the most severe quakes I have ever experienced. Believe me, I've felt quakes in Jamaica and Hawaii.

At just after 7:00am on Sunday I was standing by my computer when all of sudden there was a whole lot of shaking. You could hear a low rumble as the first shock wave moved across my house (a wooden structure sited on concrete slab).

Things rush thru your mind, was that an earthquake or just my imagination? The intensity indicated a real quake but before you could think rationally,a confirmatory huge second tremor rattled everything again. You could hear the lumber in the house shake rafter by rafter as the shock wave progressed across the house.

My wife and I scurried under doors as we remembered from our safety readings. This lasted between 30-40 seconds. For quakes a lonnnnng time. Shortly afterwards an aftershock hit but fortunately wirh much less intensity.

No injuries or damage to anyone friends or family that we knew and all residences and property of friends or family were safe. Most of the damage occured on the southermost island of Hawaii on the Northwesternend near where the epicenter was located.

As you have probably heard from the news reports by now the greatest problem was the loss of electricity for Oahu which in my side of the island took 16 hours to restore, Of course the high muck-a-mucks are asking for the heads of the electric utility company on a platter. There weren't any real earthquake Kodak moments on this island which in retrospect is a very good thing.

Personally, I was reacting to an attack of the gout in my left wrist that same day and was trying desparately to find a comfortable position for my wrist that would result in the least pain. As usual with gout that does not exist. It was grin and bear it until my medication provided some relief.

Without electricity for 16 hours one relishes the small luxuries of life and the thoughfullness of the powers above to spare us all. I'll tell you canned sardines and crackers are great. try them you'll like them.

Again, Mahalo (Thank you) to all of you.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:36 AM   #8

Dear Selvin,

Thanks for this indepth report and personal first hand experience how the quake was for you and your wife. We're glad that nothing more severe happened to you.

Wishing everyone there in Hawaii the best and full recovery of "normal life". Such things as natural disastors can make us think about priorities in life and so on, I believe.

Again, good to hear from you. Thanks for having a positive spirit!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:37 AM   #9

selvin wrote:
Quote:
My wife and I scurried under doors as we remembered from our safety readings. This lasted between 30-40 seconds.
I know exactly what you mean, selvin...That's really a long timefora placebeing hit bya +6 Richter scale earthquake! I believe your presence was a great cause of comfort for your wife under such horrifying condition. I am sohappy to hear your wise words soon. Ah, my apologies btw, maybe I was the last one aroundwhere I liveto hear about the news!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:36 AM   #10

Glad to hear you, your family, and friends are ok and no damage to your homes. With no power for 16 hours, how did food in the refridgerator and freezer fare? I would imagine if you tried to minimize the time you opened the doors, frozen food would last quite awhile.

Anyway, welcome back. It sounds like the people in Hana on Maui got cut off from the rest of the world with severe damage to the main road. I didn't hear if the back road was damaged or not. That's a really rough road when it's in good shape!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote