Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:32 AM   #1

Well I took this shot while in Greece a few weeks ago (while I was there with my wife Tundi on honeymoon).

It was VERY intentional that I catch the REPETITION that the receding waves made on the sand / beach. So I hope this qualifies to be in the "challenge" part of this forum, even though I didn't know at that time the repetition topic challenge would come up!

I realised that the photo would probably have more impact if the "wave line" was not vertical in the photo... hence the angle and composition of this photo.

What do you think? (and do I qualify)? :idea:

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

hi Paul,

interesting photo, and to me, it qualifies as well as most other shots in this challenge! i wonder how the waves formed those closely-spaced piles of gravel? wierd... :?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:02 PM   #3

Thanks for looking squirl!

Glad you think it qualifies....

Well actually they are not so much "closely-spaced piles of gravel" as very very mild undulations (rises) in the sand along the wave line. I can't explain how or why it is formed (but I've seen it hundreds of times on beaches in Australia too, especially the calmer beaches or on quiet days).

The finer sand particles are somehow sifted between the coarser sand particles, and the coarser sand parts are grouped together along the sides (which you see as "piles of gravel"). The height difference must only be a centimetre or two between fine sand and "coarser sand".

Gently spashing waves fall inbetween these and thus a pattern or repetition is formed. To highlight (or see it) best, one needs to be quiet low to the ground (from memory I was crouching down to take this photo) and for the light to fall in a certain direction.

Anyway, that's my take on this photo. Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Paul
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:57 PM   #4

As I clicked on your post, the image I sawimmediately exceeded the one which had formed in my mind when I first read the subject name! Beautiful colour, texture and strong sense of repetition are all there. IMO, it is even one of those shots which set new standarts to the challenge...
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:16 AM   #5

Bahadir,

Well I'm flabergasted (this is a word meaning "amazed" / perplexed) and honoured that my photo even exceeded your presuposition. (hmmm maybe I'm using too many big words and my spelling is all up the creek!)

Anyway, thanks for your most kind comments, and indeed it's great the camera caught the details I wanted and some post processing brought it out as I wanted for the web version.

Cheers again, friend,

Paul
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:23 AM   #6

Paul,

I've seen some similar patterns here but never with that much regularity and repetition.

Lovely job and great eye for noting this phenom.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:30 AM   #7

Selvin,

Glad you appreciated the photo... indeed I'm glad Inoticed the regularity and potential for a photo on that beach. I think a lot has to do with the fact that I love beaches so much and want to save the memories of beach time whenI'm there via a photo or two.... and I spent a lot of my children at beaches in Australia soI have always loved the forms of waves and patterns along sandy beaches.

Cheers

Paul