Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1

fall color as the leaves turn along the Wenatchee River...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Great colors but a bit disorganized. I think this photo needs to be simplified. I had a photo instructor once who constantly preached the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle and it works. I think cropping out about the bottom third of this photo would really help. I like the top half, especially the small red bush in front of the green tree.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3

Although the colors are there like Cal my mind is looking for something to grab hold of. Perhaps because of the almost random distribution of the red colored trees.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

thanks for the opinions. i definitely agree with the KISS principle, but in this case, i wanted to capture the combination of the red and gold, with a bit of blue sky, so i included it all. i also liked the way the log in the foreground seems to parallel the slope of the hill.the distribution of the colorsis a bit random, certainly, but trees and bushes in the wild always look a bit disorganized and "busy", and seldom grow in neatly arranged patterns... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

Squirrel,
I appreciate what you were trying to do. However, that is a common mistake by photographers. The more you try to include in a photo, the more confusing it gets, and the more it tends to be just a snapshot. If you really want to get it all, take several shots, each more focused on a specific subject in the larger scene. Another thing many photographers do (and was recommended in one of my photography classes) is to shoot a picture of the entire scene and then zoom in (or move in) on different elements of the scene for closeups. You could then do a collage with the closeups pasted over the full scene photo. Just some ideas to think about. I don't think collages are appropriate for this forum but if you wanted you could post them in "Critiques and Techniques", "Landscape", or "Closeups" forums.

Good luck and keep shooting (and posting). You do great work.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote