Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:28 PM   #1

I took these 2 today with a ND#6 filter. I finely took Cal's advise and starter up grading my filters.

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens
Attached Images

jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:28 PM   #2

with a ND#6 filter
Attached Images

Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:10 PM   #3

Jeff, please explain why you were using a neutral density filter with this shot. The main purpose of using a ND filter is to reduce the amount light entering the lens and allowing a slower shutter speed. This really helps when trying to do "fuzzy" water effects.

In this shot, there is no motion evident and shutter speed is not important. The lighting seems even thoughout the shot. Consequently, I ask again why the ND filter, especially a ND6 (3 f-stops light reduction).

The cases where you have seen me recommend a ND filter, I was referring to a split or graduated neutral density filter. This is a filter in which half of the glass is clear and half is the ND portion. There is a gradual transition between the two halves of the filter. If this is a screw-on round filter, it is designed to be rotated to align with the part of the scene needing correction. The Cokin graduated filter allows rotation and linear motion.

The graduated ND filter would be used where part of the scene is very bright and part of it is dark. The filter would be positioned to reduce the bright portion, allowing your meter to beter expose the scene.

Now that the lesson is over, I really like the photo. The colors are brilliant and the composition is very good.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:59 AM   #4

Why use a ND lens 2 reasons:

· I was shooting waterfalls the day before

· It's bran new and wanted to see what it would do

I bought it for taking waterfall pictures, as we have several close my and my S2is largest aperture is 8. Lesson learned, most shot were underexposed. I guess the real answer as to why I used that lens is, I DID NOT KNOW ANY BETTER. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens