Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:49 PM   #1

I love to eat ...but foundfood challenging to photograph. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:43 PM   #2

Yes, food isn't as easy as it seems at first even tho it isn't moving. Composition takes quite a bit of thought and since it's done indoors most of the time the home artificial lighting becomes a factor unless you have some studio rig.

Aloha and thanks for participating.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:52 PM   #3

You are right, Vanessa. Food is not easy to photograph, especially plates of prepared food. The most difficult part of the task is lighting. I am not going to tell you how to do it because I don't know!

Regarding the apple, depth of field has got you again. As I have told others, when doing closeup macro work, depth of field is at its worst! In this shot, your DOF appears to be about 1/2 inch. You need to stop down the aperture to about f16 or smaller with a corresponding slower shutter speed. Actually, in this case, I think I would stop the aperture down to its minimum opening (largest f-stop). This should improve DOF significantly. Now that I have suggested this, I will let you know that we are going to have a challenge in a couple weeks where a large DOF is a no-no. You'll have to wait and see what that is all about.

Now, did you eat the apple when you were finished? You should have! You know the old adage, "An apple a day..."

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:58 PM   #4

Can I do that with lens and an adapter...I thought I had to keep the camera in aperture mode and wide open...thanks, donna
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:24 PM   #5

I'm sorry I called you Vanessa! I thought this was her posting.

I am not sure what you mean by an adapter. If you are using extension tubes between the camera body and the lens or a closeup filter attached to the lens front, you want to use aperture or aperture priority mode. However you don't want the aperture wide open. Quite the opposite, you want it closed down. However, BEFORE you try this, tell me exactly what your setup is. Note that the aperture (iris) is inside the lens, NOT the camera.

Tell me more. Thanks.

Cal

Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:48 PM   #6

I think I have it. I have an e-500 with a nikkor micro 55mm lens and an adapter. I thought I had to shoot the lens at 3.5 to use it. I think now I have to have the lens at that aperture to have enough light to focus, the viewfinder is small, and then I can set the aperture where it needs to be for proper depth of field. Is that right...donna
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:46 PM   #7

Donna, is that a DSLR camera. If so, you shouldn't have to worry about having the lens wide open to see through the viewfinder. Most DSLRs normally hold the lens wide open while you are composing the picture and then closes it down to either the aperture priority setting or the computer determined setting in auto. After the picture is recorded, it opens the lens wide open again. I think most P&S cameras work in a similar fashion.

You didn't answer the question about the adapter. It it just an adapter mount to allow the Nikkor (Nikon) lens to be used on another brand of camera. If this is not the case, then what is the adapter used for?

Cal

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:53 PM   #8

This is an olympus dslr with a older manual prime lens and the adapter is to adapter the nikkor lens to the olympus. When I use my zuiko lens, which are automatic, I don't have to think of any of this. I am new to using older primes manual lens on my camera. I have practiced since we last talked and my DOF is much better. I will post some "food" pics tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Donna
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:34 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. All is clear now. I understand why you are having to manipulate the aperture ring between composing the shot and shooting the photo.

Carry on....enjoy. As the TV ad says "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...""

Cal