Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:45 AM   #1

Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

If you hadn't said this was popcornI would have thought it was pieces of chicken.

I personally would prefer less background interference just a tad too busy.

Very interesting perspective.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:35 PM   #3

I agree with Selvin. Without knowing this was popcorn, I never would have guessed. It needs more foreground light and less background. This is a case where one of those little LED pocket flashlights would work very well. The project a narrow beam and are perfect for closeup shots. The color of the LED is a little bit on the blue side but that should'nt be a problem. You can get these lights for a dollar at your local Dollar Tree store.

The depth of field is not too good. This is a common problem with macro shots. The closer you get to your subject, the shallower the DOF. In this case, it looks like the DOF was only about 1/4 inch. You need to stop down the aperture to f16 or smaller (higher f-stop) which will result in a slow shutter speed. This will necessitate the use of a tripod.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:03 PM   #4

Thanks. I will search out one of those LEDs. Calr, do you think everything should be clear in photography? When do you think it is alright to use a shallow depth of field? I was kinda going for the blurred background, although it should be darker so as not tro detract from the main kernel. I would have like the whole front kernel to have been sharper, but not the background.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:17 PM   #5

You have addressed a topic which will be covered in depth in a challenge coming up in a couple weeks. That challenge will focus on a narrow DOF. To answer your question, the topic is very subjective and it is ultimately up to you. If you want your subject in focus with everything else blurred, a narrow depth of field is called for. If you want everything in focus (such as a closeup of a flower) then a wide DOF.

The way I look at the picture is not necessarily the way you look at it. It has been my experience after entering photographs in the Oregon State Fair for seven years straight, that no two judges see things the same way. If you attend a judging, after a couple hours of watching, you sort of get an idea what the judges are looking for. However, the following year, there are three different judges and they are looking for something different. (I totally bombed out this year with none of my entries even being exhibited!).

I wouldn't worry about the DOF on this shot if you got what you wanted.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:18 PM   #6

here is a version with no background. Still Popcorn....still food....

Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:21 PM   #7

I know what you mean, Cal. Just reading some of the critiques of images, not everyone sees the same thing, or likes the same thing. Sometimes it is a personal judgement call. Sorry you bombed this year. There's always next year....
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:52 PM   #8

That's really being up and close to popcorn.

Nicely done, aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:16 AM   #9

Thanks, selvin. The first one was a lot of popcorn in the back, and it was all on top of a mirror, hence the reflected popcorn underneath. This one was shot stuck on to the head of a pin, and a piece of paper over the flash unit on my camera to kill some of the flash....the background is dark because of the distance from a dark wall
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:23 PM   #10

Where's the butter?

Iprefer your second shot, well done.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote