Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1

He's somebody's brother. Son. Father.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2

Nice shot, Walter.

There is a strong belief here in the Portland area that many of these "vagrants" who stand beside freeway ramps in many location are not homeless at all. In fact, they are scamming the public. They are being paid to stand out there. They work a regular shift and go home at the end of their shift. "Shift change" had been observed and documented. However the local city government is powerless to do anything about it.

One way to test one of these individuals is, in lieu of money, offer to buy him a good meal. If he refuses, he is probably scamming.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3

Nice shot, I think the black and white does this photo real justice as well.

These kind of photos make me a little sad to be an american at times.

Understandably, I see probably at least 1 of these signs daily while at work in New York City. As Carl pointed out, a few of these people are just hustlers.. I know I got burned by a guy who I always saw outside the subway, one cold winter day last year, I gave the guy a dollar. Later that nite, I was at a local pub with some guys from work and that same guy I gave a dollar to, was also there. He went from rag to riches and actually bought me a beer and told me his story. Kindof sad, this guy was making $200-$400 a day cash!! I guess there are all types in this world!!

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:24 AM   #4

A sign of the times. Both in the need of this gentleman and the commentary of others as to the possible scamming. very sad indeed.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:11 AM   #5

Yes, it does pose a dilemma. Are they really on hard times, or running a scam? I tend to be in the suspicious camp, while my wife wants to play it safe (from a Christian perspective)and give them all some change.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:04 PM   #6

Walter,

Definitely a social commentary on an ever increasing problem in our urban areas.

I agree that the B/W brings adds to the impact. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:04 AM   #7

Howdy, Walter.

This is by far my favorite photo challenge, in case anyone didn't know by the number of my posts here tonight! Having a blast looking at all the sign photos.

Maybe it's just a female thing, but I stand with your wife on this one. Personally, I don't give much thought to what they are going to do with my donations. That's their business. I just try to do what they taught me in Sunday School. After all, isn't it a far, far better better thing to be duped than to walk by someone who's hungry?

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Regardless of what side of this pressing issue you're on, it's still an excellent picture. Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:13 AM   #8

Ria

I was taught the same. What's a quarter or fifty cents, after all? And, still, I can't bring myself to give to someone who looks "able-bodied". In some cases, I simply give them directions to a nearby soup kitchen or shelter (if there is one).

Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:07 PM   #9

There is a way to help the genuinely homeless without encouraging the grifters. Give regularly to your local homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Salvation Army, etc. Then print up small cards with the shelter info and hand those out instead of cash.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote