Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:18 AM   #1

this sign seems to say it all...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:55 AM   #2

The composition is great. However, this photo appears to have been manipulated in PS or PSP to isolate the color of the sign in a background of BW. This is a type of manipulation we don't want to see in this forum. Adjustments to color balance, contrast, sharpness are fine but any type of artistic post processing is not.

The photo meets the challenge very well but not the general guidelines of the forum.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:28 AM   #3

calr wrote:
Quote:
The composition is great. However, this photo appears to have been manipulated in PS or PSP to isolate the color of the sign in a background of BW. This is a type of manipulation we don't want to see in this forum. Adjustments to color balance, contrast, sharpness are fine but any type of artistic post processing is not.

The photo meets the challenge very well but not the general guidelines of the forum.

Cal
oh really? oddly enough,i didn't see any such injunction in the forum guidelines. perhaps you could point me to that part...

in any case, here's the original... NO PP except resizing and sharpening to offset the clarity lost to compression... better?

Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4

Yes, this shot is much better. I guess it is an unwritten rule that we mods have been trying to enforce. I will have to update the forum guidelines to include this rule. The guidelines have not been updated for a long time. I started to do it several months ago and then decided it was ok.

I like this shot, not just because it hasn't been manipulated, but the color brings out details that the first doesn't show. It is also more "real". I prefer reality in shots, not art. That is not to say a photo should not be artistic. However the artistic aspects should be in the setting, composition, lighting and all other aspects that constitute an excellent photo. PS and PSP are great programs for editing photos but they make it too easy to create something that is not real.

The rules for entering photos in the Oregon State Fair state that digital photos are permitted as long as no "non-photographic" elements have been added. I think the rule we have been trying to enforce here is the same concept. We want to see the photos as they come out of the camera, allowing for exposure, sharpness, and contrast/lightness adjustments.

I sincerely hope you and others appreciate what we are trying to do here. We want to see what you and the camera can do, not what an editor can do for you.

Cal

Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:40 PM   #5

gotcha. you might update that guideline though... "unwritten" rules are meaningless, especially on the web - if you want people to stay within certain boundaries, youmust let them know what those boundaries are. now that i know the restrictions, i'll refrain from posting any "artistic" photos here...
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:30 PM   #6

I like the original, GMHO
rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:10 PM   #7

don;t want to start a debate.....but couldn;t you actually do this on some cameras rather than with ps?

For example "Color Accent" feature of the Canon S3 and others

I guess it still post-processing, but it would be showing what the camera can do. where do you draw the line?
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:52 PM   #8

That is a subject that Selvin, Vanessa, and I have been discussing. Nikon has two models (D80 and D200) that have editing capabilities. I am sure there will be many more. Who knows what cameras will be able to do as soon as a year from now. The photographer as a person is about to be relegated as an "appliance operator"

I used to be a ham radio operator in my earlier days. In the early days of amateur radio, you had to build all your own equipment and electronics technical knowledge was a must. As time marched on, radio equipment became available off the shelf and all you had to do was learn how to operate it...legally! The ham radio equipment of today requires a college degree! Anyway, when the store-bought equipment hit the airwaves, the operators were humorously referred to as "appliance operators" by older ham operators who build their own equipment.

How all this is going to play out here is unknown right now. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cal

Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:36 PM   #9

I've been doing some reading on the capabilities of many of the newer models of both point and shoot and DSLRs and they are gaining on photo editing software in areas such as, dynamic range adjustment, saturation, sharpening, filtering, croppingetc.

It used to be some had the capabilities to just toggle these on and off and the shooter was left holding the bag, now the effects can be adjusted to varying degrees.

We wil undoubtedly be having more discussion on this topic as time rolls on.

Squirl033, very nicely done by the way in both versions.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:49 PM   #10

I prefer the bw version. Just my two pennys worth!
desperate_dan is offline   Reply With Quote