Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

I'm noticing that many of the posts have very few comments, even from the moderators. I think most of us would like to have some kind of feedback for our effort - good, bad or otherwise.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:42 PM   #2

Good afternoon Walter. My excuse is the time of year. I seem to be so busy, coming and going, various projects and volunteering here and there.I havent even had my camera out in weeks.

I apologise if i tend to popin, post a few comments and pop out again. I will make a better effort, I promise.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your remarks, Vanessa. I noticed you've been AWOL quite a bit lately! I don't always post comments daily but I try to comment on all posted photos. I do miss one or two occasionally and for that I appologize.

BTW, in this forum, EVERYONE is invited to post comments. Critiquing here is not limited to moderators.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:59 PM   #4

Like WalterI have noted the lack of comments occasionally. I attributed it to the time of year and Vanessa's note seems to confirm that.

As Cal noted:
  1. I try to comment especially on the entries that have no comments but I must confess the last week or two I have been remiss. HOWEVER[/*]
  2. To emphasize Cal's point, anyone who views a photo entry shouldn't shy away from making comments.[/*]
  3. There have been a flood of entries recently and I know we should be encouraging even more by making comments. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
[/*]
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:33 AM   #5

I have been swamped at work and putting in a ton of overtime. Let alone it being Christmas and much to do.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I don't comment a ton on the photos even when I'm not swamped, but I do try to look at them all when I can get a chance. So many of you are way out of my league!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But, I must say, I do like to seecomments on mine to help me improve and like to see what others say about the other photos to help me see what makes a good photo and what doesn't.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for providing these challenges.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:25 AM   #6

OK, everyone.

Say 12 "Hail Marys", go forth and "sin" no more.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:31 PM   #7

I have debated whether or not to reply to this, but I figured I would also say why I am reluctant to respond sometimes. When I post a photo I expect and would like it critically picked apart and shown areas where it could be improved, you won't hurt my feelings, but you never know how another is going to react. Since Walter started this thread, I will use him as an example. Starting a thread asking for more comments and then when you do get some that you don't agree with and telling the poster to go back to bed and get back up on the right side is not going to invite more responses in the future. Cal and I have disagreed in the past and probably will in the future, but he was right in his critique in your thread, go back and look at it with an unbiased eye and read his comments again. He was right, that it did meet the challenge as there were signs present, but when it comes down to it, rather uninteresting. Even though we all might like one for Christmas. So which is it, do you want more comments or only "Nice shot" comments? I'm not trying to pick on you Walter as you are a good photographer and a valued (by me anyway) forum member, I just found this thread and your response in the other one a little at odds with each other. Wow, that's too much typing!
Merry Christmas everybody!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:43 PM   #8

GoCubs

I started this post after noticing the lack of comments on all postings over a 2 or 3 day period. Had nothing to do with mine, since I usually get my fair share. I also happen to appreciate constructive criticism, which has helped make be a better photographer.

The reason I post here is because I respect our 3 moderators and look forward to what they have to say.

The good thing is that, since posting this, we're getting more commentary. That was the idea.

Walter
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:26 PM   #9

I wish I could post more often. Unfortunately I'm on a filtered network, and since sites like photobucket and other file storing sites are blocked..when people use those to share their photos, I can't see them. I do try and get on when I can, but being deployed to Iraq is a challenge in and of itself. There isn't a wide variety of stuff for me to take photos of to enter the challenges.I'm surrounded by concrete.I do try and post comments when I can actually view people's photos

Dani
afdani1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:40 PM   #10

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
GoCubs

I started this post after noticing the lack of comments on all postings over a 2 or 3 day period. Had nothing to do with mine, since I usually get my fair share. I also happen to appreciate constructive criticism, which has helped make be a better photographer.

The reason I post here is because I respect our 3 moderators and look forward to what they have to say.

The good thing is that, since posting this, we're getting more commentary. That was the idea.

Walter
I know you do Walter, that's what seemed so out of character in the other thread, probably just a misunderstanding, it is really hard trying to get the right inflection across in the written word. That's why I hesitated to respond in the first place. I hope there were no hard feelings! I look forward to picking out the smallest detail in your next digitally modified photo that can be improved on.:blah: Keep posting and writing your Shel Silverstien style poems and I'll try to do a better job responding...
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote