daz

It only takes a hurricane to close it.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:40 AM   #2

Daz,

Shot meets the very general criteria but I personally think it would have more impact if there was some context to interpret it. Your brief comment about a hurricane helps a tad but I don't recall any hurricanes in the Washington area -- or is the shot taken somewhere else? Or amI missing something?

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:03 PM   #3
daz

Fair enough selvin. I will try for more context for my next photo and I will see if I can give them a little more oomph too.

Now as for this photo, here is a little context for it. The City Hall in this case is a small town called Lake Charles in Louisiana about 2 weeks after hurricane Rita. Lake Charles is about 30 miles from the gulf coast. There were just starting to get power back to the town but did not have power to City Hall yet. Lake Charles was lucky as most of the damage was from wind. Wind damage is usually less devastating then water damage.

You are right; Washington State has no hurricanes on record. That is one more reason to live in Washington. We also usually don't get much snow, which was evident from all the bad driving I saw last week.

DAZ

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:51 PM   #4

daz,

Thanks for the context now the shot makes a it of sense.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5

Yes, context is important but this shot is interesting as it is. It makes you ponder the question "Why is city hall closed" Did the city run out of money temporarily? Was there a fire? Did they find asbestos or other harmful substances in the building? A million questions and possible scenarios go through your mind. The commentary on the hurricane actually removes the mystery.

Think about it. Is this photo better out of context or with an explanation. I think the former. My opinion, alone.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote