Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:44 PM   #1
daz

This photo is from a road about 2-3 miles from the gulf coast. The nearest town is a small place called Cameron in Louisiana. The town also is about 2-3 miles from the coast. In Cameron only one building was left standing that was not likely to fall down on you.

My best guess (and I mean a guess as it was almost impossible to tell were some things started) is that the ‘house' originally was about 100-200 feet to the right of were it is in the photo. The Hurricane was Rita and I guess it shows that Hurricanes can't read. This is the kind of damage that happens from water. The water was 5-10 feet with 5-10 foot waves. Remember I said this was 2-3 miles inland. I think Cameron was a ‘nice' place but it is hard to tell that for sure when there is nothing left.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

Hello Daz! I feel sorry for the folks who lived in this house! Cool sign photo!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:31 PM   #3
daz

Thanks Bob. I am kind of torn about this kind of thing. I feel sorry for these people but I see the same problem over and over. Some of it is better building codes but unless someone is going to build a bunker the answer is zoning that says no building at all.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:47 PM   #4

Your juxtaposition of the sign and the house is certainly right on target. The house being where it is etc. , well I think you hitit on the head.

I see quite a bit of that here on our coastal areas as well as in some Flrodiian areas. I know global warming has a bit to do with it but nonetheless some folks are tempting fate with the placement of their homes.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:04 PM   #5

Great shot, DAZ. An unintentional "mobile home".
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6

In spite of "relocation", this house seems to be in relatively good condition and quite possibly salvageable. There doesn't appear to be significant wind damage. Of course the photo doesn't show all the water damage. However, I am guessing it was not a total loss. Great shot.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote