Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:15 AM   #1

Tried to get someshots tonight with my limited knowledge of how to do this. This is tough.

How do I get a better photo of this? This was taken with Pentax K100D, 55mm, f14, set on macro mode. I believe I was about 6" away with this shot. The camera was on my tabletop tripod. I tried in manual mode with high numbered f-stop, manually focusing and auto focusing, but couldn't get any better.

I did crop the photo some.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:25 AM   #2

nhmom,

Don't be too hard on yourself, this is not easy.

Is your frustration is with the lack of sharpness in the inner portion of the bulb or the harsh lights in the glass? or both?

The harsh lights can be ameliorated a tad by using a more indirect lighting, e.g. bounce flash or some sort of filter to soften the harsh flash light.

I don't think the seeming lack of sharpness is really as bad as it first appears. I think our perception is being overwhelmed by the harsh reflections.

I actually tried a quick and dirty photoshop editing to illustrate the effect that getting rid of the harsh lighting has on the photo. Hope you don't mind the use of your shot for illustrative purposes.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks, Selvin. Yes, I think it was both the blurriness and the flash that was bothering me.

The light bulb is sitting underneath a 27 watt fluorescent light. I had tried angling the light differently, turning off the flash on the camera, shooting so I got a dark background of books, a light background of a white wall.

I will attempt again today under natural light and see if I can get any better. I was trying to get the whole inside glass piece in focus, but can only seem to get the top ball or the bottom circle.

I wonder what it would look like if the light was on? Hmmm. Will have to try that, too. But, it's light sensitive so will have to figure out if I can do that in the low light it emits.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote