Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1

This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but how do you use a close up filter?

If I have multiple ones (+1, +1 & +4) and a 1A filter, do I need to put them on in a certain order? Do I need to do anything different with my settings on my camera? Are the distances for focusing still the same as without the filter? Should I use manual focus rather than auto focus?

Thanks for any advice.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2

There should be some instructions that came with the kit. I am not sure if you can stack them or not. In any case, your autofocus and exposure system should work as usual. Those are through the lens functions and the closeup filter becomes part of the lens.

If you don't have instructions, you might do a Google search for the brand and kit number if you know it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:15 AM   #3

I think the focus distance will be shorter (many filters - shorter distance).

Sometimes camera will not be abble to focus automatically and if it has many points of focus is possible that it to focus on a point youdon't want it. So it is better(sometimes you will have to) to use manual focus and even better is to set up the camera to manual mode. The DOF became very small and to increase it is necessary to reduce the aperture; that results in a long exposure time and the tripod (or some other device to make the camera steady) is wellcome.
vidiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:33 PM   #4

They are Hoya close-up +1,2,4 filters. No manual or paperwork included. Just the box, 3 lenses and a leather type case for them.

I'll look on line to see if there was something that should have come with them. I did buy them from a local reputable camera dealer, so would have thought if there were some it would have been in the box.

That was why I asked here. Figured it was maybe something that was supposed to be obvious to me.

I'll play around with them tonight once I get dinner made and a few presents wrapped.

Thanks.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote