Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1

I have called many places home in my lifetime. I have lived in South Dakota, California, Idaho, and Oregon. One place I have lived has been half way around the world twice while I was onboard.

The photo below shows a very recognizable landmark, the Golden Gate Bridge. However, what is significant about this photo is the ship passing under the bridge. That is the Nuclear Powered, Guided Missle Cruiser, USS Long Beach CGN9. I served and lived aboard that ship for 3 1/2 years during the Vietnam Conflict. I served as a nuclear reactor operator. The USS Long Beach was decomissioned many years ago and all that remains, from what I have heard, is her hull floating at Bremerton awaiting cutting up into razor blades!

This is a scanned 35mm slide. It was very foggy at the Golden Gate that day and in the 40 years since, the slide has faded considerably. I have done a great deal of work on contrast, saturation, and color balance to get what you see here. It is not good but it is the best I could do.

Minolta SRT101A, Minolta 135mm Prime lens, Kodak Kodachrome film.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:58 PM   #2

Hey Cal,

Thanks for your service in some cramped quarters! I tried to do a little more work to your photo, I hope you don't mind. I have deleted it from my HD. What I did was duplicate the layer and set that layer to multiply. Then selected the furthest mtns. and sky and copy and pasted that and set it to multiply, also a slight levels adjustment. I'm sure it would work better on the original scan, but your right, there is only so much that can be done. Anyway, nice shot!
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:17 AM   #3

Cal,

Nice timing with thr Golden Gate as backdrop. I can't imagine the close quarters of a ship as a home but since home could be defined as where you lay your head.

Go Cubs I like the editing and it does make a significant difference.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

Cal,

You've probably already tried this but in case you haven't: I use an Epson Perfection Scanner that has a "color restoration" mode. I've used it to scan some 50+ year old color negatives that were very washed out and yellow and it seems to work magic.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:30 PM   #5

I have an Epson Perfection 610 flatbed scanner which I use occasionally but I don't recall that function. I do most of my scanning with a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III film/slide scanner. The Minolta interface has a number of image correction functions which I have used a few times. I prefer to do a raw scan (no corrections) and post process in Paint Shop Pro X. It has a fade correction function but it did little to help this image. The slide was in very poor condition. If I can find it, I have the original print of this photo and it is probably in better condition than the negative.

For those wondering how I could be stationed aboard this ship and take the photo at the same time, here is the explanation. The ship had been home ported in Long Beach, CA but was transferring up to Mare Island Shipyard in Vallejo, CA (about 30 miles east of San Francisco) for a major overhaul, and I took a few days leave for the sole purpose of getting this photo. I knew the approximate time the ship would be steaming into the bay. I got there about an hour early. It was foggy and I didn't spot the ship until it was about a 1/4 mile out.

This shot was taken from the Presidio, by the way.

Cal

Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:20 PM   #6

San Francisco can be a very tough place to get clear shots. I have been there many times. My college roommate while I attended UC Davis was from San Francisco. It is also where I honeymooned many, many moons ago and went back a few years ago for our 20th anniversary. And, I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Bekeley and we would often go into the city.

Nice shot of the bridge. The Presidio is another nice place for photos. Although, not as nice as it used to be years ago.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:41 PM   #7

I have been looking for this photo for quite a few years. I believe the date was July 1, 1971. thank you for posting it. Do you have other photos taken that day? I just found this website and have not read the rules for posting images yet, but I was on the Long Beach the day it went under the Gloden Gate. If you look at the after superstructure, you will see a tower with a small radar just forward of the two ANSPG/49 Talos Fire Control Radars. From that vantage point a friend and I took pictures as we went under the bridge. I have 28 color slides I took in rapid sequence as we went under the bridge and have a had a framed sequence of five of those slides printed as 5X7 color pictures hanging in my family room for several years. Your picture completes a great series of photos.

I have a fair number of Long Beach slides I took while on board including photos of "live" Talos missles just prior to lauch while we were in the Tonkin Gulf. I would be glad to exchange images of Long Beach with you if you are interested. I wouldn't worry about the quality of the photo, it is a well done photo framed by the Pine trees in the foreground. The fog is typical of the weather by the bridge and I remember the day well; it was very foggy and we were sitting outside the bay by the Faralon Islands for two or three hours waiting for low tide - we could barely see the bridge from there - so your photo is very good for the conditions on that day.

Look forward to hearing from you.

B613057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:14 PM   #8

Rather than continue this discussion here where it has nothing to do with the current challenge, I will send you a private message.

For more information about this forum I recommend that read the forum guidelines anchored at the top of the forum.

Cal
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:00 AM   #9

Calr we do not see things in common very often. However, I would like to thank you for answering a call to arms for this country. Whether anyone agrees with or disagrees with the validity of the conflict in Vietnam, you answered a call either voluntarily or under draft. It really does not matter in the big picture. You rung the bell and answered the call. The other gentleman that you are conversing with apparently also answered that call.

I want to thank you both for your service to your country!!!! It is an honor to converse with you in this medium.

Regards,
Bill

P.S. I tried to do a BandW but it did not turn out well.
Attached Images

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:35 AM   #10

Although there are aspects of this thread which dont have anything to do with the Challenge its all very interesting and I for one am interested. A bit of dialogue with fellow shipmates concerning the photo gives a bit more personal history behind the photo and thats always nice to know. The pic itself I was kinda bored with at first. But when the story unfolded it got better. Id like to see a pic or two from B613057 which complements yours posted. I dont know if I made it better or worse. Im tired and its late/early.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote