Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:10 AM   #1

Hawaii boasts the only authentic palace in the United States. Once the home of Hawaiian Royalty it is now a museum dedicated to teaching our current generation about the culture of ancient Hawaiians and their royal lineage.

Iolani Palace, Honolulu

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 6:54 AM   #2

A real palace? Now, just to show I don't know my history, when did the reign end?
Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:28 AM   #3

! Oh to feel that warm breeze, lay on the beach and watch the palms sway!!!!!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:08 PM   #4

Been there, done that....but probably not as ofter as Selvin. My only complaint about this shot is that it needs straightening.

I have not been inside the palace but have walked all around the grounds and neighboring area. It is truly a beautiful location.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #5

Nice shot. Normally I'd be heartsick seeing your sunshine and palmtrees in December. This year though we haven't really had any cold weather yet. Unfortunately when that happens it usually means we'll get hammered in January and February.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:20 PM   #6

Colleagues,

Thanks for the knd comments. Cal I did think of straightening the shot but got lazy. Now for a brief history lesson on the Hawaiian Royalty.

A number of prominent businessmen headed by Sanford Dole (Dole Fruit) seized control of Hawaii in July 1894 and created the Republic of Hawaii. They removed the Queen from her role as a Constitutional Monarch and placed her under house arrest. It appears they wanted to make Hawaii a part of the US to assure Hawaii sugar of favorable tariffs. They of course were sugar investors and huge agricultural land owners.

The US Congress passed legislation in 1898 making it a Territory of the US. The whole affair teems with subterfuge and plain political chicanery. So what else is new?

Unless you are a rabid follower of the Dole camp it is very difficult to justify what happened to the Hawaiian Royalty. However that is all history right now and only a few really think Hawaii should go back to a monarchy.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:21 AM   #7

Lovely building. And, I'm jealous of the bright blue skies as I look out at overcast skies.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote