Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 24, 2006, 6:30 PM   #1

Here is a photo of our old railroad station. The tracks were removed years ago (were where the road is in the bottom of the photo)and the station was converted to a residence.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:07 PM   #2

Very nice details. A pity some of the tracks weren't left standing to give a more accurate historical perspective.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3

Here I go fooling around with your pics again:angry:. Interesting old buildings like this are favorite subjects of mine. I cropped some out of the top and bottom of this pic to give it a slightly panoramic look and boosted the black level a little.
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:59 PM   #4

Thanks, Toshi. Looks nice. And, I don't mind at all. It helps me to know what others expect to see in a photo. I had thought of doing the panoramic thing because of the boring "grass" in front, but decided against it. But, hadn't thought of adjusting the black.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I thought we weren't supposed to tweak our photos for the challenges as a challenge to us to take a better photo rather than photoshop it. Or, is it okay to do that?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:46 AM   #5

NH Mom,

Modest tweaks to improve color/clarity/sharpness or crops to improve composition are usually acceptable. Modifications to the photo to manipulate the image and for example create a moon on the horizon or change the color of the sunset from red to blue (who would?) or superimposing a foreign object into the photo are not acceptable.

Toshi's edits to improve color or clarity are fine.

Hope this helps
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:25 AM   #6

Thank you, Selvin. It must have been one of the other forums I adjusted something in a photo and was reminded we couldn't make changes.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:02 PM   #7

Wow! That sure is red. Once again, I think the original photo is fine as it is. I don't think any adjustments are called for. I am not trying to pick on Toshi. I just don't agree with his edits.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:40 PM   #8

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do like the panoramic crop of it. Makes you realize just how long the building really is. And, yes, it is really that red. I took at shot from the back left corner and the way the sun was shining, it was reflecting off the shiny red and difficult to shoot. Besides the back of the building is very boring looking.

Thanks for looking.