Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Haven't had a chance to go out today. But, this is one I took yesterday on my outing. It is the dam by the local saw mill. It is hard to tell from reading the town history if this mill was the one originally built between 1740 and 1753. In 1761 it was sold as "an ironwork and grist mill" and "proper yard and stream pong and 1/4 part of the whole stream where a Saw Mill stands on the same dam in which everyone shall have his equal part of the water of said stream."

There were other mills built on the river near this location, but they seem to have been destroyed in a flood in 1936. Nothing in the history indicates the original mill was destroyed over time. This dam and the road was heavily damaged in the floods we had in May of this year. As you can see, it has since been repaired and the building withstood the gushing waters.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2

NH Mom,

Very picturesque setting. I am reminded of the old English Novel "The Mill on the Floss" which we had to read in High School way, way back then in the British colonies. The main characters also had their lives disrupted by a severe flood.

Thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:00 AM   #3

Great subject in a beautiful setting, but the pic looks kind of cold and washed out. I took the liberty of adjusting the color balance and boosting the saturation to add some warmth. I found the right side of the pictureto havesome distracting elements, so I cropped a bit from there to (hopefully) improve the composition a little.

I hope you don't mind my fooling around with your pic. Happy holidays!:-)
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:50 AM   #4

Thanks, selvin and toshi. I don't mind at all that you tweaked the photo, toshi. I had tried playing around with the levels, but just couldn't get it to look any better. I almost didn't post because it did look so washed out.

Would you mind telling me what settings you used? I have PSE4. Have 5 to install, but haven't had time.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you, too.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:45 AM   #5

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, selvin and toshi. I don't mind at all that you tweaked the photo, toshi. I had tried playing around with the levels, but just couldn't get it to look any better. I almost didn't post because it did look so washed out.

Would you mind telling me what settings you used? I have PSE4. Have 5 to install, but haven't had time.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you, too.
Hi, Nhmom. I'm glad you didn't mind my tweaking your pic. It's a lovely setting - I'd like to see more. I've been using GimpShop 2.2 for a while and the more I use it, the more I realize what an incredible tool it is. I also use Serif PhotoPlus, but it's comparitively quite limited in what it can do. I adjusted the color balance in GimpShop as follows:

Midtones only, adjustMagenta to +25 to add warmth.

I then went to Curves and picked about 5 points spaced equally apart and moved them so that the curve went from straight to a smooth, slightly curved 'S' shape,beginning downwards at the bottom left of the curve line.

Next, I boosted overall saturation just a couple of points and cropped it.

I hope that helps. Happy New Year!:-)
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Toshi. I shall bookmark this to play around with later in my program. And, I will check out the GimpShop program you mentioned. I've been mostly using PSE4 to do all my changes. But, know that sometimes different programs are better at different things. I don't have curves in PSE4, but think it has been added to version 5.

It's too dark by the time I get home to get any daylight shots. But, I can try to leave early in the mornings and get some others. Looking through our town's history book I thought of some other buildings I could photograph.

One of my other hobbies is genealogy and it blends in nicely with old photos of historic buildings. I had taken some photos of the church building my great grandfather and some other relatives had helped build in the mid 1800's when I was visiting in 2001. And, found out a week after I returned home that they had scheduled to destroy the church. Within a month it was torn down. So glad I had taken the time to take the photos.

Happy New Year to you, too. May we all get better at our photo taking in 2007. I know I have a lot of room for improvement!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:42 AM   #7

NH Mom,

I also use PSE4 and haven't yet migrated to PSE5. A few months agoI came across a Smartcurves add-in. For the life of me I cannot find where I got it from - I know it's from the Software/Editors part of the forum but alas I know not where.

I have the original zipped file and could send it to you if you are interested. Pls send me a e-mail adress if you decide you want the add-in. The file is about 615KB. The utility is free and works with PSE4 which is what i use.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:38 AM   #8

Thanks, Selvin. I did already purchase PSE5 last weekend when it was on sale atStaples for $40 after rebate. I had been watching for months for it to dip that low.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:53 AM   #9

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the original photo. I don't think the cropping improved it. Quite the opposite, in fact! By cropping off the end of the building, the scale of the photo is lost.

As has been said, this is a very picturesque setting. There is a small grist mill and covered bridge in Southern Washington that presents a similar scene to the viewer. The terrain is not as open which makes it difficult to get good shots, but if you are willing to brave the trees and hills you can get some excellent shots of it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:50 PM   #10

Couldn't get out again today before dark. So, just to give some perspective as to what the flooding in May did to this area, here are few photos around the dam.

You can see the water was as high as the bottom of the floor in the first photo here.
Attached Images