Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:27 PM   #1

Vernon as seen from Kal Park, my favorite place to hike. The views fromhere are always fantastic, as long as the weather cooperates.
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:34 PM   #2

I took thisshotsometime lastsummer. This is looking south along Kal Lake.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:37 PM   #3

The sun lights the hills above town on an otherwise dreary Fall day.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:59 PM   #4

Toshi,

Superb views of your hometown area. The third shot with the sun peeking out is quite charming. I can see why hiking would be one of your favorite pastime along with taking shots like these.

One small reminder, only two shots per submission.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:16 AM   #5

Thanks very much, Selvin. Sorry about that third post - I sometimes get carried away!

I hope you and yours had a great Christmas and I wish you a peaceful and happy New Year.:-)
Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:52 AM   #6

Very nice shots, Toshi. It certainly does look like a great place to hike.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:26 PM   #7

Thanks, Nhmom. In spite of Vernon'sproblems - over-development, crowded roads, expensive housing, just to name a few- I wouldn't live anywhere else. There are a multitude of hiking trails only minutes away, and there's still a lot of wilderness left to enjoy if you know where to look.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:19 PM   #8

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Nhmom. In spite of it Vernon'sproblems - over-development, crowded roads, expensive housing, just to name a few- I wouldn't live anywhere else. There are a multitude of hiking trails only minutes away, and there's still a lot of wilderness left to enjoy if you know where to look.
Beautiful shots of a beautiful area. It's a conundrum. We want to live in a quaint rural setting, but we need roads, sewers, utiilities, houses, schools, churches and places to work, and before we know it it isn't rural anymore.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:25 PM   #9

We sort of have a compromise of the conundrum. We live in the rural woodsy area, but are within 30 minutes of a fairly major city. No public utilites (sewer or water, although do have electricity :-)), but then also have to pay for schools and everything else in our town taxes as there is no state tax here in New Hampshire.

My aunt, who lives just outside of Boston, wonders why we live "out in the boonies" as she puts it. But, it sure is peaceful here on the weekends.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:42 AM   #10

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
We sort of have a compromise of the conundrum. We live in the rural woodsy area, but are within 30 minutes of a fairly major city. No public utilites (sewer or water, although do have electricity :-)), but then also have to pay for schools and everything else in our town taxes as there is no state tax here in New Hampshire.

My aunt, who lives just outside of Boston, wonders why we live "out in the boonies" as she puts it. But, it sure is peaceful here on the weekends.
Vernon became known as a resort town back in the Sixties and unfortunately, at least in my mind, hasn't looked back since. The real boom started in the mid-Eighties when the Coquihalla Highway opened and cut travel time from Vancouver almost in half. The population has probably tripled since we moved here in 1974 and it keeps growing despite the fact that our infrastructure's been maxed out for some time. Peaceful weekends are mostly a thing of the past, unless you do like I do and leave town for a while. It still beats living in a 'big city', but I find it sad that Vernon's lost the rural character that drew me here in the first place. Can't have everything, I guess.:-)