Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:05 PM   #1
daz

The weather has not been conducive (lousy) for photography lately but I did get these the other day on my way home.

300mm f/8 15s ISO 200 *ist DS

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2
daz

These are from much further away then desirable.

300mm f/8 2s ISO 200 *ist DS

DAZ

Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:55 PM   #3

Both shots are beautiful but something about them bothers me. I'm not sure what it is. I think it is the color saturation. The color seems to be oversaturated. Did you do any post processing? If so, what did you do? I don't think you've done anything that we frown on here but possibly too much of what we allow?? :?:?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:14 PM   #4
daz

Well calr I shoot RAW so by definition every photo is PP. As for the color saturation I did not mess with that much but I can think of some other thinks that may leave you to think that. 1) When you shoot RAW you get more range. When you have something that has a lot of range like this and you convert it to a smaller range for JPG it can look a little bright. You can do things to turn it down but I did not do that. Partially for the next reasons. 2) When you have longer exposers you can get color shifts. I don't mean that the whole photo color shifted like it all looking redder but red sensors maybe more sensitive then lets say the blue ones so things that are red may look really red. 3) Things that are normally high contrast (like a dark night sky) start to "glow" so to compensate I used a little more contrast control (20-30 instead of 10) then I would usually use. 4) Last is color balance. When you have long exposers with artificial lights you have all kinds of different color temps. So when one sets the color temp it is somewhat arbitrary. It is mostly judgment and taste. There is the definite probability that I have no taste.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:28 PM   #5

As a matter of personal taste. If I had to shoot from that far away I think I'd go much wider than you did on the first shot. I think some water in the foreground helps, particularly in a night shot. Maybe the left 2/3rds of the wide shot. That's just my opinion.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote