Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:22 PM   #1

I didn't venture out today except to take the dog for a short walk. She and the camera are not a good mix, especially when all she wanted to do was run free in thesnow.She's a young black lab mix.We have a leash law in our town. This was taken from inside down my driveway showing my hometown today.

Not sure if the photo evenmeritsposting. Any suggestions as to what I could have done differently to make this picture better? Maybe made more of the background in focus? The white area is mostly my driveway. The dark area just to the left of the ball is a small creek in my yard. I think by having to tell what is in the photo I'm answering my own questions.

Oh, well. Any suggestions welcome. (Maybe not even take the photo.:?)
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2

I think it's beautiful! I like the soft background and the bright details of the glass.
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:43 AM   #3

NH Mom,

I am not convinced that the ball adds significantly to the shot. I am inclined to think it may actually distract since it hides the creek.

Part of the problem may be in the focus. The ball is in focus but the secenery that you want us to look at his a bit too soft.

Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:28 AM   #4

I like the ball and the soft focus outside the window. It places the viewer solidly "inside" sharing the view outside with the photographer, and appreciating the warmth of the house on a grey winter day.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Yeah - that's what I mean, you said it better than I did!
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6

I like it. Without the glass ornament, it is a somewhat boring shot but the colors of the ornament really give it life. Good work!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments in both directions. I wasn't sure if it was just another boring shot for others.

Selvin, I had started to take it without the ball, but it was too gray and blah. Then, when I added the ball I couldn't figure out which to make in focus. I liked it better with the outside out of focus because of the neighbor's truck across the street. It kept ending up being the center of my photo because of the views I could get out the window.

I did try some other shots this morning with the sun shining today. I'll see how they came out. I was using the bars of the window to "hide" the truck somewhat. Not sure how I did.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote