Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:53 PM   #1

Stiched pano...had to reduce qual a bit to fit the limits....hope this shows OK, sorry if it's a pain to view.
Attached Images

Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:36 AM   #2

Kita,

That's actually the house you were born in? Wow.

Could get a close-up of the house I think some might want to see what and how it's made.

Thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:29 AM   #3

This is beautiful! I haven't tried any panoramic shots yet. Keep meaning to.

Is this up north in CA? Or, somewhere else?
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:41 AM   #4

This is in the Southern California mountains....a couple of hours east of LA.

I was just having fun with ya, re being born in this house. It is actually an old miner's cabin. It's in the Holcomb Valley, just north of Big Bear Lake. There was considerable gold mining in this area during the gold rush era.

I have been struggling with this challenge, as LA is so vast, how do you show your "home town" when it's as big and varied as LA is? I finally decided on this, to show others that LA isn't JUST freeways, cars and smog!

Happy New Year to you all!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:15 AM   #5

Nice shot Kita! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:04 PM   #6

Well, you fished me into your little "trap". I was waiting for a story about carrying the water and cutting the firewood and, of course, the outhouse.

Anyway, you have done a great job on the panorama. Someone suggested that we do a panorama challenge but I don't know if enough people have stitching software and know how to use it. I know that PSE can stitch. Corel Photo Album 6, also. The stitching function in Photo Album is easier to use but I think PSE may do a better job.

Kudos

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:41 PM   #7

Kita, Aha! It looks alot like up around Sequoia where I used to spend a lot of time before I was married. I was born and raised in LA area, but haven't lived there in 40 years. And, haven't lived in CA for 23 years.

You seem to have had the opposite problem with this challenge. I live in a little dinky town and was struggling trying to find interesting things to take photos of. Our town only has so many things in it.

Cal, the panoramic stitching challenge sounds like it might be fun. But, I have no idea how to do it (as you surmised some of us wouldn't in your message.) I was also thinking I don't really live any place close to any "open" areas to shoot and stitch together. Then, I remembered I live 17 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. I guess that's expansive enough! But, can you stitch waves together?

I'm starting a class on PSE5 this Saturday. I can't remember if it was in the curriculum or not. Might be in the second session in March/April.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:10 PM   #8

nhmom- It sounds like you are very happy where you are....so am I. I sometimes think the peace of a "dinky town" would be cool, probably like sometimes you think of LA (in a good way). Sorry if my little game caught you confused....didn't mean any harm. Stiching in PSE is REALLY easy! There's a pull down in the File label, "new" that says "Photomerge panorama".

It will then lead you through the process. I've only done it a couple of times, but I remember it as pretty simple. I think the key is to get good images to use. Namely, tripod controled with camera in portrait orientation and overlap the images quite a bit, so there is an easy match-up point for PSE to find.

I'd suggest, give it a try with your backyard....full 360 pano, maybe. That's an easy way to experiment with the software.

Thanks for you interest, and nice comments about my pic.

Kita