Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1

This is a film scan of some old negatives from my military days in South Korea. This one was taken from a bus window while we were moving. This is one of the original Gates for the city of Seoul.

Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:41 AM   #2

I wonder if the road every went throough the gate?
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:41 PM   #3

Great shot. There is a lot of history represented there.

I have learned the hard way how difficult it is to work with old negatives and slides. They tend to be dirty, mildewed, and faded. Have you done anything to restore this negative. I know it is a lot of work and the results are not always good. I considered having my slides and negatives professionally cleaned but decided the cost would be prohibitive. Consequently, I scanned them as is and did some touchup in PSP before saving. I figure if I ever need a good print, I will try to clean the slide or negative and do as much restoration in PSP as possible. I have about 1500 slides and about 10,000 negatives and I have scanned them all!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:18 PM   #4

Fofa,

Wow, in its heyday this was probably the equivalent of the Arc de Triomphe. Nice historical shot.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5

calr: MAN I can't believe you scanned that many! It takes so long to scan them. And I have been scanning at only 1024 resolution. Mostly due to this old computer and limited disk space. Fix'n to fix that issue, should have a new PC next week.
Any way I just scanned them in, used some of the software the scanner to make minor adjustments during the scanning process (I have a Minolta Dual scan II). Then for posting I ran it through PSE 4, made some adjustments, and also through Noise Ninja to reduce the film grain (or dirt or whatever). I had a Mamia Sekor (sp) DTL 500 (I think that what it was) with a 35MM and 70-200 Zoom is all. Not to mention I just found the negatives about a year ago, in the original processing envalopes, in a box, in the attic (and the attics get HOT in Texas). So all in all I think it turned out rather well. How ever now that I am getting a new PC, I will have to rescan all of them at MAX resolution since it has a 350 GB hard drive. I only have a couple thousand I think.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:41 AM   #6

When I started, my wife asked "you're going to scan everything?" She never thought I would finish the project. It took two years using a Minolta ScanDual III at 2820 resolution. About two thirds the way through, my usb2 card in the computer decided to revert to a usb1 card. I think heat killed it. I stopped my project for a couple months and then decided to try the scanner on my wife's laptop. It worked great. Consequently, I finished the project, scanning to the laptop and saving to my computer across the network. I was very happy to get the project done. Now my wife has a bunch of 110 negatives she wants me to scan. The Minolta does not have a carrier for 110 film but if I put the film in the 35mm carrier, I can scan part of the frames and then by repositioning the film in the carrier, I can scan the rest. Fortunately, she doesn't have to many.

I still have a shoebox full of prints that were my mother's and a couple albums of early prints shot on 127 film. I will scan those prints with my Epson Perfection 610 flatbed.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote