Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1

Not sure if this constitutes enough of a "fence" and wall for this, but I was intrigued by this entrance to the apartment I stayed in while in SLC and had to photograph it.

We were very excited to find out we had an apartment to stay in for $10/day. That is until we found out we would be staying on the third floor up with no elevator. My computer and camera bags got quite heavy by the end of each day.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:39 PM   #2

Well I think it qualifies for the fence part but I don't think the brick walls of the building meet Vanessa's Criteria. There is a bit of a tilt in the picture. I wonder if it is leaning toward the Mormon Temple? :lol: Having lived in "Mormon Country" for about a third of my life, I am well familiar with how strong the Mormon influence is in communities throughout Utah and as far north as the Montana border in southeast Idaho.

Personally, I don't find this photo all that interesting. I think it needs a different crop or something additional to add interest to it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments, Cal. I wasn't sure if it qualified or not. Don't know unless you ask.

I think you're right about it still tilting too much. I did already rotate it twice at 0.5ยบ. Needs a little more, though. (Actually, it was leaning in the opposite direction of the temple :-)) And, yes, I agree it is missing something now that I'm looking at it through different eyes. I think it would have been better if I'd been able to get the entire "openings" image at least. I only had my old p&s at the time and was back as far as I could get.

Almost didn't take the shot, but figured it would at least be a partial memory for me. Guess it was a "you had to be there to appreciate it". I'd also like it better without the bush. But, if I crop the bush out I lose part of the wall.

I guess to get better at seeing what others see in our photographs we have to take chances. I took a chance. No loss. Just another opportunity to try harder next time.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:52 AM   #4

NH Mom,

$10 a day! Wow, for that price I wouldn't mind tilting or curved walls. I thought the only way of getting some oomph into this photo would have been to conecntrate on the geometric patterms but that would surely mean straghtening the curves and fixing the walls.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:38 AM   #5

Thanks, Selvin, for the comments. So, by straightening the curves do you mean the slight curve towards the top of the inside walls? And, "fixing" the walls do you mean tilting the photo more? Trying to learn something here. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:39 AM   #6

NH Mom,

Yes, the curve would be the bowed effect in the middle, and the straightening of the vertical perspective of course. It would take some work in Photoshop or its equivalent.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:12 AM   #7

I'm not sure why Cal felt that the brick wall would not qualify but I do agree with him that the picture is missing something. He suggested cropping so I took the liberty to play with it and change the focus from the wall to the fence. Hope you don't mind!
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:27 AM   #8

Thanks, Selvin and Tullio. No, I don't mind you playing with it at all. I like what you did to it.