Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Photographed in San Diego's beautiful Balboa Park. Not sure of the purpose of the partial fencing around the fountain.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:30 PM   #2

Hi Walter, yes, beautiful place indeed. I was there last year but somehow missed this fountain. Good capture!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:45 PM   #3

My guess is that the fences are there to keep skateboarders and kids from running down the lanes and jumping the fountain.

As always, I really enjoy the detail and sharpness in your photos. How do you get such good results? Smart Sharpen and USM work decently for me but not nearly as good as I'd like them to be.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:13 PM   #4

Christopher

Duh! I should have thought of that, since I have a son who is an avid skateboarder.

Generally I use smart sharpen in PS2. More importantly, I use the best equipment I can affort -- in my case a 20D and 5D with "L" quality lenses. I also shoot in RAW which helps me a great deal (but is more time consuming).

Walter
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:13 PM   #5

Ok, the sharpness makes more sense to me knowing that you shoot with a 5D and L lenses. I was under the impression that you were using something that wasn't a DSLR. I swear that I read that in one of your posts somewhere.

Using a D50 and Tamron lens, I suppose I shouldn't expect so much out of it. It hasn't even been a year since I first picked up a camera, so I still can't really tell the difference in lens qualities as opposed to differences in shooting skill.

I'm with you on the RAW shooting. I started shooting everything in RAW a few months ago and the quality over JPEG is spectacular, I never shoot in JPEG anymore. I think its well worth the extra PS effort.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:37 PM   #6

Christopher

Yes, I've posted several shots from a P&S digital camera from time to time. I have a Canon 710 IS that I stick in my pocket when I'm not prepared to lug around the DSLR equipment.

Walter
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:47 PM   #7

Beautiful shot. It sorta reminds me of the outdoor swimming pool at Hearst Castle.

It is a shame that skateboarders think the whole world is their playground. About two years ago a beautiful new Civic Center building was constructed in Hillsboro, OR, about 20 miles west of Portland. It has a large courtyard with a beautiful dancing water fountain and large curved stairway leading up to the entrance. Before the building was dedicated or occupied, skateboarders had already damaged some of the concrete walls around the landscaping.

In many areas around Portland, they have installed little metal "L" shaped pieces on the edges of concrete walls to prevent skateboarders from damaging them.

In recent years, several modern skateboard parks have been constructed around the metro area and they are very popular. However it is still not enough to prevent skaters from seeking out any surface wide enough to hold the wheels.

Getting back to the picture, those black fences at the corners of the pool seem to be artistic as well as functional. They seem to be part of the total artistic design of the pool. From the ground, it may not be visible but from the vantage point of this shot, you can see it.

Good work, Walter.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote