Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:32 PM   #1

I apologize in advance for the lackluster contrast. The sun was behind the subject.

This is the front facade of the Heigold House near the Ohio River in Louisville, Ky.

In the 1850's Louisville's population swelled as waves of German and Irish Catholic immigrants entered the area. In the election of August 1855 members of the "Know Nothing" party tried to prevent the Germans and Irish from voting. A riot, known as the "Bloody Monday" riot, broke out and twenty-two persons were killed, scores were injured and much property was destroyed by fire.

Heigold, an immigrant stonemason from Germany who lived through the riot, carved the stonework on his house front as a demonstration of his patriotism and loyalty to his new country and city. Among the many patriotic engravings are "Hail to the city of Louisville", "Hail all men of the United States", "Hail to Buchanan now and forever", and "George Washington.. a man whose greatness has never been surpassed"

The house was demolished many decades ago but the front facade was kept as a historic site. It is scheduled to be moved to a new location where the grounds will be better maintained.
Attached Images

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:33 PM   #2

Here's the very well light back of the wall. :? This happens to me a lot. Maybe I need to get out of bed earlier.
Attached Images

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:13 PM   #3

Very nice shots, Bill and the historical narrative much appreciated. That first shot reminds me of the Alamo. There are many similarities.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:10 PM   #4

Quite interesting! Thanks for the history lesson. Being someone who does genealogy as another hobby, it was right up there.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:08 PM   #5

COOL
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote