Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 20, 2007, 2:18 PM   #1

Shots of a covered bridge that enters into a local golf course. It's a 16' bridge. In the first photo it looks like it's tilting. But, it's actually longer on the top than the bottom. Didn't want to venture too far into the open snow for a side shot for fear of falling into a snow covered pond:-)
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 2:20 PM   #2

Here's a second shot looking straight through. Just wish there was something more interesting on the other side. I should have been using my lens hood, but didn't realize until I got home and it's too dang cold out to go back today.
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:53 PM   #3

Great shot, Nhmom. Technically, this is not a covered bridge but I'll accept it. This is a bridge with a roof over it and decorative siding. The decorative siding is for looks only and does not help support the roadway. A true covered bridge has very heavy wooden truss work on the sides which provide the primary support for the roadway. A roof and siding is built over and around the trusswork to protect it from the weather. If you look at the other covered bridge photos that have been posted in this challenge, you can see the trusswork.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

A lesson learned. I didn't realize there was anything specific about a covered bridge. I did a search on the internet of covered bridges in New Hampshire and this one was within 10 miles of my home. Although, a different website only gave me a few that are all in northern NH. Those would probably qualify better. If the weather holds up tomorrow I'll see what else I can find.