Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:24 PM   #1

Here is a shot of an original McDonald's restaurant located in East Portland. A new modern McDonald's sits about 30 yards away.

This building has been modified from its orignal configuration. All fixtures inside have been removed and replaced with picnic tables. The area on the left between the bottom of the arch and the slanted edge of the window has been added. Originally, this was a walkup restaurant. There was no dining room and no place for customers to go inside. The slanted beam on the left was the edge of the front windows. There were two or three walkup windows on the front of the building. The building is now used for childrens parties. There is a big statue of Ronald McDonald inside the building.

I made a 3d computer graphic model of this building for use in Microsoft Train Simulator. I'll post a screenshot if I can find it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:40 PM   #2

I know these are not actual photos but I thought you might be interested. These are two views of the 3d computer graphic I created of the McDonald's restaurant for use in Microsoft Train Simulator.

Cal
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:19 PM   #3

This is one of the originals, isn't it. I had been looking for the mid 80's style that I didn't realize they didn't put in their buildings any more. I think I'll be paying more attention to what our McDonald's look like in the future.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:51 AM   #4

This is how I remember my frist trip to McDonald's in Omaha, Nebraska in or around 1963. It was such a huge deal to go.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5

Yes, this is one of the originals. I don't know when this store closed. The original sign is still there, also.

I remember my first McDonald's experience in 1964 in Sacramento when hamburgers were 15 cents. You could get an entire meal for less than a dollar. The menu was much more limited than now. I recall that they had hamburgers, double hamburgers, cheesburgers, double cheesburgers, fries, shakes, and Coke.

The arches are making a comeback. However, they are more round and bigger to accomodate a restaurant with a dining room.

Cal

Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:31 PM   #6

calr wrote:
Quote:
.. Originally, this was a walkup restaurant. There was no dining room and no place for customers to go inside. The slanted beam on the left was the edge of the front windows. There were two or three walkup windows on the front of the building.

Cal
Great find Cal! I've seen some reproduction resturants like this but you've got an original. I remember the first McDonalds in Louisville. It was very much like that. You did go inside to order but there was no seating just a counter.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:11 AM   #7

That McDonald's really rang my memory bells. A fe years ago I saw one of these in a Chicago suburb.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:38 PM   #8

Nice capture, Cal. This has been a very informative challenge. I've never seen an originalMcDonald's building before
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote