Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:50 AM   #1

I thought I posted this, but could not find it??? If it is repeated, sorry!!
Beetle and Kharman Ghia...

Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2

These are nice shots but I was actually looking for cars that are smaller than these.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3

No offence, Cal, but you did mention the Mini Cooper, which my son owns. My Karmann Ghia weighs in at 2000 pounds, the mini Cooper at 2557 pounds. My Ghia is 165 inches long, 63,8 inches wide, and 51.7 inches tall, while the Mini Cooper 143 inches long, 66.65 inches wide, and 55.4 inches tall. The VW Beetle weighed in at 2028 pounds, 159.84 inches long, 60.96 inches wide, and 59.04 inches tall.
So which of these cars is the smallest, by what criteria?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:47 PM   #4

These are pretty cool, the Ghia looks in excellent shape! Are these yours?

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Thanks, Bob. Way back when I met my husband, he drove a VW Beetle, and I a Karmann Ghia. Between 1990 and 1999, my kids drove these two cars (branch does not fall far from the tree) They were sold in 1999. But we had maintained them in excellent condition for those years. We regret selling them.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:13 PM   #6

Imaginat, my answer to which is smaller, my answer is...maybe?? I guess small is in the eye of the beholder. When my sister was still alive, she drove Karman Ghia for several years. With an aluminum enclosed luggage carrier strapped on top, I honestly don't know how she kept it on the road!

When I posted the challenge, considering the topic of small cars, I was thinking very small. I think it would be very interesting to put a VW Beetle, a Smart Car, and a Mini Cooper side-by-side. I think it would be a very interesting comparison. Based on your numbers, the Ghia is the longest. I will try to find some specs on the Smart Car.

I just checked the SmartCar USA website. The Smart FourTwo is the only model that will be exported to the USA. The current European model is 98 inches long but the US export will be 8 inches longer. They will begin exporting the 2008 model. I've seen a couple of them in the Portland area. The current European model is not approved for US import, so I don't know how the cars I have seen are driving legally on US streets!

Cal

Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:55 AM   #7

Would a Scion Xa qualify? I think it falls into the size catagory with a CooperS or SmartCar...
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:49 AM   #8

Is that the Scion "Wheely Box" as my wife and I have come to call them. I am referring to their box on wheels van or truck or whatever it is called. In my opinion, it is the ugliest thing on the road since the Citroen. However, I think you might be referring to the Scion Sedan. I haven't seen any of those. Go ahead and post the photo.

Cal

Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:16 AM   #9

Regardless of size, I like these pictures! Thebright colors mixed with more subdued backgrounds really catches my eyes!

inneyeseakay, I also have an *istD which I do NOT use nearly enough. Which is why I'm back...

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:22 AM   #10

I thank you all for the comments.