Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:05 PM   #1

Here's a Chicago landmark.
Attached Images

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:07 PM   #2

This is the grave of University of Louisville and NBA basketball great Derek Smith who died quite young of a heart attack.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:36 PM   #3

Your exposure for the neon shot is spot on. I think I would have zoomed in a bit more but that's just my opinion.

In the grave marker shot, you have shadows from the trees working against you. This might have been a good place to use fill flash.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:59 PM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
Your exposure for the neon shot is spot on. I think I would have zoomed in a bit more but that's just my opinion.

In the grave marker shot, you have shadows from the trees working against you. This might have been a good place to use fill flash.

Cal
Believe it or not Cal the neon is shot with a Canon Elph. It's all I had with me on that particular night and I never got around to getting it with the dslr. That's not a crop either it's just the full 3x zoom. I think I played with the white balance to get the blue-ish cast to the sky.

I tried a fill flash on the marker. It's a laser etching on polished black granite and it's like a mirror. Fill flash from straight on was all flash reflection. Angled from the side lost all of the contrast of the etching. Maybe with a speedlight I could have gotten it but I didn't have one with me. The best thing probably would have been to use a reflector but I was by myself.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:54 PM   #5

Bill,

The neon sign brught back memories of my time spent in Chicago many moons ago.

Definitely an unusual grave marker.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:47 PM   #6

I like both images. I think it's impressive that you were able to get such a good image out of the Elph in such light condition. As for the second, I'd try to get a bit closer andspot meter. You would probably eliminate some of the shadow effects on the image by brightening it up. The sky in the background may look a bit washed out but...that's the compromise.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote