Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:35 AM   #1

This is a cropped picture of one of the locomotives at the cog railwaywhich climbs Mount Washington in New Hampshire. This engine pushes the cars up the mountain and backs down the mountain before the cars on the descent. Running down between the tracks is a rack into which the cog gear engages. The engine turns the cog gear tooth by tooth. The engine is a coal fired steam locomotive. The incline averages 25 degrees with the steepest part being 37 degrees and the entire trip is made on a wooden trestle. It is the first and oldest cog railway in the world. Notice the tilted boiler in the front of the engine to accomodate the steep incline. The engine and the coaches are never attached. Each coach has it's own brakeman for safety.

Oh Oh. I put # 2 and it should be # 7. I tried to edit the subject but it I can only see where to edit the text.
Attached Images

yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:14 AM   #2

Ahh, the cog railway..beautiful. The water tank looks like it's going to tip over...could this photo use some straightening?

Thank you for the added bonus of the great information about the train.

vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:18 AM   #3

It could possibly use straightning. I'll have to go back to the original and check. Everythings on an incline and often doesn't look balanced. At one point they stop the train on the way up and there is a small house that looks really crooked but it's actually balanced - it's the coach that is off balance.
karenlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:20 PM   #4

Hi,

I went on the internet to see if I could find photos taken of the cog railway from the same perspective as the one I submitted. I found a couple with the water tower slanted. Here is a link to one that is eerily like mine. It even is of the same train - different season though. I believemy picture was shot from the deck of the station house. http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?...on_Cog_Railway

It and several others show the water tower as leaning. Of course, everyone could have been standing off balance. I've been known to shoot pictures that need straightening.

Thank you for your comments.
karenlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:20 PM   #5

That might be one of the "Mystery Spots" where gravity is just wrong! :blah: Great shot of the railroad and I thank you also for the history.

I corrected your subject line. Only moderators can edit that information.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote