Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:13 AM   #1

This is the sign for McDonalds in Salzburg, Austria. No garish signs allowed.

This was taken with our 40 year old Pentax film camera several years ago and scanned to my pc so it is not as sharp as I would like but I loved the sign so here it is.
Attached Images

yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:08 AM   #2

Wow! I hope there is something above the door stating it is a McDonald's, as I don't think I would have noticed the M if you hadn't told us it was there.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:35 AM   #3

Nope. That's all there is.
karenlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:37 AM   #4

I'm sure the common smell of McDonalds everywhere was present. Interesting sign.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:18 AM   #5

Interesting! The arches are barely visible but the fixture holding it is somewhat garish in my opinion. I would have to see more of the local architecture to make a judgement on that.

NHMOM, that is not a "M". The McDonald's logo is an icon representing the golden arches that loomed up over the top of the original restaurants. As I stated in another thread. The arches are making a comeback. I know of at least one modern style restaurant in Hillsboro, OR that has had arches added to it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:32 PM   #6

Cal,

Here is the original picture before I cropped it so that the "Golden Arches" would stand outa little more. The photo was taken in the historic district of Salzburg and I imagine (although I can't swear) that the city ordinances probably restricted the signs to be representativeof the historical time period. As I am sure you are aware, at one time, a merchant or laborer hung a sign that had a representation of the work performed within as most people couldn't read. This was probably as close as McDonalds could come assuming that my theory of the signs is correct. If you look at the building further along the street you can see similar signs.

I hope this picture puts it a little more into perspective for you although it is only of the walls along the same side of the streetas McDonalds. Either way, we are both entitled to our opinion of interesting or not. As I said earlier, I took this picture about 7 or 8 years ago, it is scanned and not the sharpest. For this forum, it was the closest I could come to an interesting or different picture of the golden arches. Most McD's are pretty much the same around here in my neck of the woods in New England.
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:55 PM   #7

I think you misunderstood me. I like the photo. The garrish comment was in regard to the structure holding the arch logo. I can't really make out what it is but if it is acceptable in the town or neighborhood, it's ok with me!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 5:27 AM   #8

Oh. Okay. Here is a real close up. It appears to be a lion standing on the neck of a golden feathered bird (would have to be a big bird).
Attached Images