Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:43 PM   #1

Obviously, this challenge has been different from any previous challenge. This was actually 13 challenges in one. If you liked it, thank Bill Guenthner. If you didn't like it, thank Bill Guenthner for that, also!

I think the challenge was very successful and people had a lot of fun with it. A few people thought outside the box for some of the topics and some people (you know who you are!) seem to be obsessed with the dead!

I have been keeping a spreadsheet, tallying the photos posted for the challenge. Here are some interesting numbers.

25 people participated in the challenge.

The breakdown by topic is as follows:
1. Little Cars -- 6 people posted
2. Ice Sculptures -- 11 people
3. Recumbant Bicycle -- only one!
4. Stained Glass -- 9 people.
5. Steam Train Locomotive -- 5 people
6. Parachute -- only 3 people
7. Covered Bridge -- 8 people
8. Trolley/Streetcar -- only 4
9. Auto Transport -- only 2
10. Unusual Grave Marker -- 8 people
11. Golden Arches -- 9 people
12. Bird Nest -- 6 people
13. Neon Sign -- 10 people

Nobody posted in all 13 topics. The most topics posted by one person was 9.
One person posted 8 topics
One person posted 7 topics
One person posted 6 topics
One person posted 5 topics
Three people posted 4 topics
Six people posted 3 topics
Five people posted 2 topics
Seven people posted 1 topic

Enough for the numbers. As with any statistics, you may interpret them any way you want!

It has been suggested that this challenge be repeated from time to time but with a completely different set of topics. I think that is a great idea. What do you think?

Thanks to all who participated. As with all challenges, this was not a contest but a challenge with something for everyone. Now, get ready for what Selvin has up his sleave for the next challenge.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

It was a great idea - got me to come out of the woodwork. Please do it again occasionally, with different and equally fun set of challenges.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:30 AM   #3

I say lets do it some more also, of course with new ideas (maybe a thread for that) and revisit some of the ones from this. Since the weather did not cooperate for a lot of us for this challenge.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:45 PM   #4

I also enjoyed this challenge. Wished I'd had more opportunities to get more of the items, but like Mugmar said, the weather wasn't always cooperative (nor the season for things like parachutes around here) for me. But, being worldwide, I would imagine that is going to be difficult whenever we do it.

I would definitely like to do this one again with other items. Thank you for the idea, Bill.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:08 AM   #5

Hi Cal, it was an interesting, fun, educational and informative challenge to say the least. To me, the nicest thing about itwas the fact thatI got to see (and comment) on a variety of pictures taken from various different subjects during a two week period. I think repeating this challenge from time to time with different item lists is a great idea. However, Ibelieve that there should be some sort of a limit to how many pictures of the same item each individual can contribute. That would not only force people to be a lot more selective in case one has many pictures of one particular item but it would also encourage people to go out andlook for other items on the list rather than limiting the postings to the same item. Anyway, that's just a suggestion.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:20 AM   #6

bugger!.... I loved that idea... what a shame I didn't find this until it was over... I have some great ideas and would have been able to get all 13....

Ok

I will try to get more involved here....

See ya soon.
Aussie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:32 AM   #7

Oh good grief, I've done it again and posted to an old topic, sorry! Please delete it, Cal if it's irrelevant, now.

I think I know now how I got thread to pop up at the top of my list.

I think it's an excellent idea.While one's out & about, one can try to have a collection of topics in mind. This should improve our observational powers as well as out photography.

And variety is everything, I feel. Difficult to impossible ones sometimes, and wide-ranging ones at other times.

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote