Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

This one is turning out harder than I thought - the couple of ideas I had running around in my head haven't worked out as well as I thought they might. Here's my first attempt. What I find interesting is how I interpreted my theme slightly differently. I was thinking about UCLA when I went to take this picture, and what its mission is. Then I thought about what a postcard is supposed to do - attract people. I guess I was designing a publicity campaign instead of a pretty postcard, but then a university is interested in attracting students, not tourists, right? If this is way off base, let me know (and I know the slogan is pretty hokey, but seemed to fit the picture).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:34 PM   #2

If I were really doing these pictures, I would have used the skew tool to straighten the vertical lines (what I use instead of a shift lens).

This is Royce Hall, and the towers used to be part of the university's logo.

P.S. Wanted to show all the students but couldn't come up with a slogan that exemplified community, what I was trying to capture.

Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:46 AM   #3

I like the first image but not as a post card since it does not show much and it does not make me curious to see more of it. The second works much better. However, IMOthe cloudy, stormysky makes it less appealing and the bricks need a little more saturation...they look a bit washed out.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:24 AM   #4

Mtngal,

The first shot is an inspirational card more so than a traditional picture postcard. Although the lines are blurredat times between both products. I think you are right about the tapered buildings. Personally I don't find it as distracting but then again that's a personal preference.

Tullio is right about the second shot being a bit muted in color as least it appears so on my monitor.

I would give the nod to the first shot but as noted it is really more inspirational than picture postcard.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments.

One of the things that attracts me about this challenge is not so much going back and finding pictures that match the theme, but taking now that match. Unfortunately, the weather in Los Angeles yesterday wasn't the greatest - the clouds were just burning off at lunch. I tried adding saturation to the second one, adjusting levels to add color/saturation but didn't like any of the results - it tended to look either too dark or too unnatural, so I gave up. Any place else will have to wait for this weekend.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:20 AM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

One of the things that attracts me about this challenge is not so much going back and finding pictures that match the theme, but taking now that match. Unfortunately, the weather in Los Angeles yesterday wasn't the greatest - the clouds were just burning off at lunch. ...
Wow, I'll take that weather any day. The clouds here will burn off sometime around April. :-) Ok, that's an exaggeration but not much of an exaggeration.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:53 AM   #7

I like the first shot. It is inspiring as well as inviting. It is also thought provoking. As far as using the skew tool, do so with caution. It will definitely straighten the sides of the image but can also lose a lot at the edges. In severe cases you can end up with a very skinny picture with a distorted aspect ratio. I rarely use the tool.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:01 AM   #8

I totally agree w/ you, mtngal. The idea is to go out and capture something new for the challenge (even though most of us have a great collection of photos that fits just about any challenge). I also agree that it is frustrating when you want to go out shoot some pics and the weather does not cooperate. The thing is, cloudy skies can be on the photographer's side in many cases. It greatly reduces contrast, facilitating light metering and exposure. In any case, I worked on your image a little bit. Hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:46 PM   #9

I like parts of your re-do, the building is much better, and I like the more dramatic sky. But I'd prefer to maintain the detail in the shadow, so I tried to adjust the way you did while leaving the shadows alone. My conclusion is that there are some photos that are just hopeless, and this is one of them (below is my attempt, with the original framing, which is off-center). Thanks for your suggestions, I'm going to try something totally different this weekend.
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:35 PM   #10

I just had to have a go at it too. I hope you don't mind. I killed most of the shadows and put a motion blur on the students to add some energy to the scene. I also distorted the building some to distract from the slightly odd angle.
Attached Images

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote