Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:22 AM   #1

Recently we've been having very high winds and very big ocean waves approaching 20-30 feet. For the first time I visited our North shore during these high waves. Even though the waves are big sometimes the surfing competitions have to pass either because the waves or too high or they are too choppy for the surfers. One competition called the Eddie Aikau is held only when the waves exceed 20+ feet.

This photo was taken with waves in the 15-20 feet range atBanzai PipelineBeach during the Billabong Pipeline Tournament. The original shot showed the caption as Sunset Beach it should have been Banzai Beach. [Image now corrected]

Photo taken with Sony Alpha DSLR and a Sigma 300 mm telephoto lens which has a 450mm equivalent when mounted on the Sony Alpha. Even that pales by comparison with some of the Bazooka lenses of the pros. Unfortunately it was taken without the benefit of a tripod.

So here goes, a picture postcard of surfing on Oahu's North shore.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:09 PM   #2

You do live in Paradise, great shot! All I can say is those folks are way more brave than I am!!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:30 PM   #3

I'm with Bob..they can have the waves, I'll stay on shore with a camera next to Selvin. Great capture and a beautiful postcard.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:05 PM   #4

Great picture although I have to say I'm with the intimadated set. I'd love to "see" waves like that though.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:24 PM   #5

See there, Selvin. You were holding out. When we were there and your wife drove us around the island, I don't think there were any waves on the north shore! Just calm seas. We've got to plan this better.

Nice shot. I don't think you would catch me out there!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:12 PM   #6

I guess I'm just another boring person. Or, should I say sane. You'll find me on the shore also, taking photos of these amazing waves.

Nice image, Selvin.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:58 AM   #7

Folks, thanks for the kind comments.

Cal,

Yes, I think we need to plan better. Although the big drawback is that traffic slows to a crawl when the waves are really popping. The storms create these swells primarily duirng the winter months. January - February is propably the peak.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote