Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1

Local lighthouse that is open one day a month during the summer months for visitors. This lighthouse was built in 1878, but there has been a lighthouse at this point since 1771. It stands just outside of Fort Constitution at a Coast Guard Station.Stands 48 feet tall and was built inside the old one and then the old one was removed. It is the only mainland lighthouse on the 18 mile coastline of New Hampshire.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

A great photo and caption. Good work! I would love to spend some time finding a photographing all the lighthouses on the eastern US seashore. I've got a good start on the west coast.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:14 AM   #3

NHmom,

Lovely work. The details are quite good, and the clear skies and sunny day adds to its attractiveness.

Besides, I'm a sucker for lighthouses having photographed most of the lighthouses in Hawaii.

Just in case you find your way back there try photographing the lighthouse off to the side rather than almost dead centre. This will give an additional perspective. This is in no way critical of your centre shot just another way of viewing the lighthouse.

This is an example of what I mean:

I think this heightens the perspective that the lighthouse is looking out over the water. Just a personal observation. If I ever get back to this lighthouse again I would probably show more of the ocean. Unfortunately the lighthouse is in a remote area with no paved road.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:53 AM   #4

Good job NHMOM. I'll have to get directions there.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5

Thanks, Cal, Selvin and yesterday.

Selvin, I do plan on going back this summer so I can get a better photograph of the spiral staircase inside. I'll try for a different shot, too. That time, I had just tried to go up into the lighthouse and my vertigo took over. So, was still a little dizzy, but was determined to get some shots. I want so bad to go up and take photos from the tower, but am afraid I won't make it up the stairs again.:-) We'll see.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:30 PM   #6

I like it! It makes me long for springtime.

Good luck with the staircase. When our daughter was 2 years old we visited the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet near Daytona Beach Florida. It's 175 feet tall and I had to carry her all the way up and all the way back down. We were there again with her this year, only now she's 21 and I didn't have to to carry her. She had to stop and wait for me to rest several times though. To make a long story short(er) I took a lot of pictures of the stairs but wasn't happy with the lighting/exposure in any of them. Like you, I'm going back this year and give it another try. My second goal is to climb to the top without stopping.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:51 PM   #7

Very nice post card! I look forward to seeing the photos from your next visit!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:31 PM   #8

Thanks, Bill and Bob.

I'm posting another post card of what I do have of the staircase. The image was done in a PS class I took about a year ago. I've added text to make it a post card.

Since the tower is so short and I'm 5'11", I didn't get much of the staircase. My next attempt will be from lying on the floor. My vertigo shouldn't affect me there.:-)