Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:56 AM   #1

Chinese New Year is just around the corner. Took this Saturday during one of the local celebrations. Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:22 PM   #2

I was trying to figure out how I missed this one and then I remembered that the first time I tried to look at it, the picture would not load.

Beautiful colors and costumes. I think the image may be a bit over saturated. At least that's the way it looks on my monitor #1 (I have two!).

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:14 AM   #3

Ah, a festival of lively colours whichappeals the perception of the beholder!! And the fitting slogan would certainly attract my boy and girl ) Hope, someday I'll bring them there!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:37 PM   #4

Bahadir,

As you correctly surmised children (those above 3-4 years old) are completely fascinated by this cultural event. My granddaughter first saw them when she was two years old and was frightened primarily by the heavy incessant drumming that accompanies all of this.

Aloha
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:54 AM   #5

Selvin..what are the children feeding the lions.?...I see he has something in his tiny hand.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:02 PM   #6

Vanessa,

The lions are fed money. During the lion dance procession the onlookers hand money to the costumed lion dancers thru an opening in the mouth of the lion. The opening is quite large so the lion dancer simply grabs the money donation with his/her hands and deposits in ina bag/pocket in the costume.

The belief is that by feeding the lions money one increses your chances of prosperity and good health for the coming year. The money is sometimes wapped in lycee(sp.?)envelopes (i.e. small red envelopes used by the Chinese to wrap monetary gifts. Red is characteristically the favorite color of the Chinese culture.

The lion dancers are part of the various martial arts/physical fitness clubs that abound in many Chinatowns.

Aloha