Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:35 PM   #1

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:46 PM   #2

Monkey,

At the risk of sounding way too critical I am having difficulty with your ice photos. The lack of focus is probably the main factor.

Photographing ice is extremely tough because most auto focus systems rely on algorithms to detect the edges of objects. The ice you are photographing has lots of round edges whichtends to create difficulties with focussing systems. I suspect you are also in macro mode and you used a large aperture (small f-stop number). This means your DOF is pretty shallow. With the possibility of melting ice, measured distances probably don't stay the same for long.

Of course if you are using manual mode and the ice is in a controlled environment, I've got tons of egg on my face. Wouldn't be the first ttime.

All said and done, I like the idea I just think it needs a bit more work.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:20 AM   #3

Selvin,

No worries on sounding too critical - that's why we're here! Yes, it is a tough subject and I did do it manually, trying to do a narrow depth of field - sometimes when I look at these I think, "how neat!" and other times I think, "where's my center of interest?" I waffle on these two myself, and I really appreciate your input!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:44 AM   #4

I spent awhile looking at the photos and I definatly prefer the second one.I was fascinated with what i am assuming (maybe incorrectly) is a reflection, but I can't figure out what is causing the reflection..water? I also like how we seem to be looking inside the ice.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5

Yes - it isa melted puddle. We learned in college that good art makes you think. Guess I succeeded in that aspect.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:16 PM   #6

These are great photos of the ice and water but I don't think they qualify as high-key photos. I don't see white on white. I see light colored ice against a dark background.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote