Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:53 PM   #1

This is my first attempt. I realize I need to work on the lighting. I will try it again tomorrow, now I need to go to bed :?. Any suggestions for my lighting? All I did is use the on camera flash.

Attached Images

gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:45 AM   #2

Well, now. I think you are probably the first to use a toilet for a background....and I think it works very well. I even like the shadows!!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3

Yes, well. I don't know about there in Massachusetts but here in Boise it's all mud outside. Rain, rain rain. So if the competition was brown or brown I would have endless subjects to choose from. So being stuck inside with three kids the toilet seemed like the best thing to shoot on.

Thanks for taking a look. I will see if I can talk the flower and toilet into doing another shoot today.
gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:34 AM   #4

I am laughing at the three kids...I also have three and when they were younger, the bathroom wasSOMETIMES the only place I could be alone. I Have a great image of you hiding in the bathroom to take your photos.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:23 PM   #5

Interesting shot, Gilbil. I can't make up my mind if it needs to be lighter or darker. If you are using an external flash, try pointing the flash toward the ceiling. Another suggestion is to make sure the bathroom overhead light is on and set flash compensation to about -2.0. This will reduce the power of the flash and allow the room light to dominate. You might need to set exposure compensation (not the same thing as flash compensation) to +1.0. I would do a number of shots trying different compensation values until you hit on a combination you like.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote