Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:57 PM   #1

First off I realize this shot doesn't *quite* fit the guidelines of "white on white with a difference of texutre and hue," but I think the homogenus background adds a degree of subtilismto the shot.

Secondly, this shot requires a bit of background information. The franchised retail outlet pictured below was constructed a few hundred yards south of a major interstate. A few years ago, a local evangelical church got the idea to erect 3 giant crosses a couple hundred yards off this same interstate to remind passing motorists that they are sinners and are going to burn in hell unless they go to this particular church... or something like that.. any way, back on topic. The location chosen for the crosses was on the north side of the interstate not too far from the previously mentioned franchised retail outlet. When you stand in a certain spot in the parking lot of the store,you might see somethinglike this:

I'll let you decide what it means.

zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:25 PM   #2

Maybe Wal-Mart needs to join the church with all the problems they're having.

The white crosses against the white sky meets the challenge but I think the sky is blown out. I would have to look at a histogram to be sure. This is a case where a split ND filter would really help.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:48 PM   #3

It's blown out just a little bit. This was taken of an overcast, hazy day with my Olympus P&S.

zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:15 PM   #4

Zackattack,

I just saw "Ghost Rider" and the theme of good and evil resonates in my mind. So looking at this shot with the crosses seemingly bearing down on the aforesaid retailer strikes a responsive chord.

The histogram clearly shows what happening in the shot and I suspect it will take a combination of tweaking with the levels as well as the contrast to add to the shot.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote