Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:22 PM   #1

Since I'm guilty of this, I feel that I can make a comment. Seems as if there are periods when very few viewers leave comments on these Biweekly Shoot Out posts.

Let's try to encourage each other a little more by leaving comments. It doesn't have to be analytical, although I'm sure most of us would welcome a suggestion or observation regarding possible improvements.

Thanks.
Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:25 PM   #2

Very good point, Walter. I concur fully. I am going to anchor this thread for a few days.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:06 PM   #3

That would be nice. I do try to view everyone's photos and if I have time, to comment on some. Of course, I can't give much analytical feedback except my opinion on if I like something or not. But, in my opinion, that is helpful as it lets you know you took a photo of something people are interested in seeing.

I do see that sometimes there are nearly 100 views of something, but there are only 4 or 5 comments. If they are mine, they make me wonder if I shouldn't have posted at all. Or, maybe people are just too busy to write something as I know I've been at times.

I'm certainly no professional photographer, and enjoy having these items to focus on every few weeks to help me improve my skills.

Thanks for offering this excuse for taking photos of strange things. :-)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:48 AM   #4

Walter,

Your words are certainly welcome and like NHMom has noted I see some overwhelming viewing and almost no comments sometimes.

Folks let's get with it.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:00 PM   #5

While I like followups to posts I start I feel a bit guilty at not commenting on others or at least I feel I could do better in saying something about these pictures. In most cases when I see a picture and someone else said something similar to that what I had in mind I just don't post because it's already said.

Anyway - this is a good idea and I'll try to get better at this - please be patient. At times it's easy writing in english and expressing my feelings but sometimes I just can't put into words what I really want to say - which isvery frustrating. This even results sometimes in a big confusion on both sides...

Oh well.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:47 PM   #6

Walter - I really think your idea is working atm - bumping that thread a bit

I raised my postcount dramatically today as I really took the time to browse and watch and post some comments - it forces you to think more about a picture which is also good and beneficial to the viewer and might give ideas for his/her own attempts to get a specific shot.

Only downside is that this commenting really eats a lot of time.

/yawn /wave

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7

Walter C,timely made suggestion.But,sometime, few are so bad that makes me wonder whather they deserve to be commented at all.Just to being nice and encouraging ,does it means we need to write "nice shot", "great shot" ," I love it"so on and so forth always( it is so boring). No I don't think so.Come on, we are here to learn ,to improve our skill, to become a better person that is why we all are here ,isn't it..?? and Please bear in mind, "Failure is a great teacher, success is a mental block ". If any person is making a comment ,is worth listening,need not to follow,b'coz sometime they worth more then the "Gold".Hope you all understand what I wish to say.No offence ...
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:25 PM   #8

If I post a photo that people don't like, I certainly hope someone will comment and tell me that it is not a good photo. I know this isn't the critique forum, but a gentle, "this photo doesn't work for me" or "maybe you should try a different angle" would really make a difference in my development as an amature photographer.

A little criticism sometimes jolts the artist out of a rut and into great inspiration. Back in college, I got my share of critiques - good and bad, and the ones I remember are the bad ones; and let me tell you, I didn't make the same mistake twice!!

So... I think a criticism is much better than no comment at all.

Thanks everyone.
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:38 PM   #9

lapstrake - Stated very well. I agree with you 100%. If something of mine is not making it as a photo, I wouldlike to hear what I could have done differently to make it better. (Although, gently, please :-)) I am hear to learn and improve my skills. Hopefully some day, some of what I hear and see will sink in.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

I am totally agreed with lapstrake,Comments and critique is always welcome.But what I wish to state here that, before anyone post a picture the 1 st thing they should analysis them self whather it is worth for other to view it or not.Or let say whather he/she likes it or not....( something like a qaulity control). After all "viewer" is also "a learner".Don't makethe sitea "Visual Junkyard". Make it more interesting. After all everyone like "a neat and clean house" it is only the placement of furniture and flower is all we are here to discuss about.

Diplomacy is an art of saying "NO" by saying "YES". (If a person really needs to improve the skill they need to take little criticism at stride.BUt some reacts to strongly to criticism which is strange, So itis preferable not to comments anything,and giving them a falsh impression.Which part of it would you prefer??? )

And come to think of it "Criticismcan never ever be gentle it is always severe"(It even hurts my feeling also,but that is whatdrives me to do better,isn't it..??
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote