Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:18 PM   #1

These are two views of the Alumni Circle Fountain and North Hall at Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, IL. The night shot includes both structures and the daytime shot includes the same two elements from a different perspective.

RGRDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:11 AM   #2

Lovely fountain detail. The freeze action of the water hits the spot.

Aloha and thanks for sharing. Also, welcome to the forum.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:57 PM   #3

Good work! You got the links fixed. I hope my suggestions were helpful to you.

An excellent pair of photos. I like the first one the most even though the second shows more detail. The night scene makes a beautiful shot. I would like to see it a bit sharper. I find that generally for night shots, manual focus is necessary to get the sharpest shot. Auto-focus doesn't always work well (if at all!) at night. Also, if you didn't use a tripod, I would strongly recommend it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:28 PM   #4

I agree with Cal. I like the first shot better. I tried taking some shots of Phillips Exeter Academy at night a few days ago and don't think they came out. (No tripod, zoomed out to the end, and it was cold. So I probably wasn't too steady.)

Went back today for some day shots I'll probably post tomorrow.

I like how your photo isn't all the orangish haze. That some of the blue of the sky came through.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:20 PM   #5

I think I can answer that question. The orange glow is from the incandescent lighting. However, the white balance was probably set for sunlight. If the WB were set for incandescent, the orange glow would probably be white. However, I like it this way. I think it adds mood to the photo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:31 PM   #6

The orange tint on those lights is how they actually appear. Notice the white light near the doorframe and the interior of the building. White balance was set on Auto. This was hand held, braced against a car doorframe, with a stabilized lens but most were far worse. I agree that a tripod would have been best. Thanks for the feedback....
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:58 PM   #7

Well done, RJR. Thanks for sharing.
Walter C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:31 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum RGR!
The detail shot doesn't really work for me - however the wide view is really great!

As for that WB - I was thinking that the light in the building had another color than the one around the fountain. So I did a manual WB and set the white point at the lights at the entrance of the building and the grey point on a bench or paving stone - assuming that these would have been painted white (bench) or were grey (stone). Thisis a result which I am pleased with - light inside the building is different from the one around the fountain. Notice the blue water in the fountain? It has a more green tone in your original picture...

What do you say? Right approach or completely wrong direction? Can always fine-tune that way but that's up to you, of course.

Again - great shot,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:40 PM   #9

Very nice! Welcome to the forum RGRDigital!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:42 PM   #10

I like your adjustments in WB. I do believe it's more like the original scene this way. The detail shot was meant to contrastthe similarly placed components of each structure, and truly doesn't do much for me either other than to serve as a reminder of how often I've seen both structures. Thanks for taking the time to adjust and give feedback. The recent encouragement to comment on one anothers workis a big factor in my returning to the forum.