Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:56 PM   #1

The panorama is of Chicago landmarksLake Point Tower and most of Navy Pier. The detail of the roof of Lake Point Tower is enhanced by the Blue Angels flying overhead a month or so later. Perhaps this isn't a necessarily interesting detail feature, but the proximity of the Angels seems to draw attention to it. Hope this meets the criteria of the challenge.

RGRDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:02 PM   #2

RGR Digital,

I'll leave the final arbitration to Cal sice this is his topic but there is sufficient detail on the top of your Lake Point detail shot to qualify in my rather hurried opinion.

That's a lovely wide angle view of Navy Pier and the tower. What vanatge point did you use?

Aloha and welcome to this forum.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:19 AM   #3

A friend owns a condo in a building right on Lake Shore and Randolph, just east of the Prudential Bldg. Fortunately, the rooftop has an observation deck.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:37 AM   #4

It looks like I'm going to have to fire up the old Cessna 172 and take a virtual flight over the Chicago shoreline. I thought that was the old Meigs field in the background but realize that is is not.

I will accept these shots. The tower is dark in both photos. If you editor has a "fill flash" tool, that might help bring out the detail. I really like seeing the Blue Angels in the second shot.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:49 PM   #5

I know I have a view of thenew Meigs Field (now called Northerly Island)from the same vantage if you'd like to see how it looks now. How does a grassy field with a twisty hiking trail down the middle sound? To most aircraft fans, it was a sad day.

I agree about the slight darkness of the building. I was using a polarizer to cut hte glare and haze on everything, so this shot is more like what you'd see with good sunglasses on.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:16 PM   #6

I took a quick trip out to the Microsoft airport, did a quick teleport to Meigs field (which still exists in my copy of Flight Simulator) and did a flyby of the area in your photos. Looks like it is just a mile or two north of Meigs.

Anyway, after my quick flight, I loaded your photos into PSPX and tried the fill-flash tool on both using the default options. Here are the results. I also reduced the image sizes.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:16 AM   #7

If you pivot 180 degrees on this spot, Meigs was just about as far south of this point as Navy Pier is in this shot.

Regarding the editing. WhileI appreciate the suggestions, the edits have blown out the rest of the color at the same time. The water, trees and even the building are just too light now.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:29 AM   #8

That's a nice first shot, and great timing on the second. As for the editing, fill flash works sometimes, but it affects the picture as a whole and while it may lighten the parts you want lighter, it also lightens everything else. Hope you don't mind, but I tried a little shadow/highlight work and a little midtone contrast adjustments. If you want it taken down just say the word...
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:57 PM   #9

GoCubs, I appreciate your effort also and this is more realistic overall. Thank you.

One other factor in the original. It was a bright sunny day, mid to later afternoonand the shadows were long andsharp at the time.