Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:02 PM   #1

This shoot out really has me looking at things differently. I have always been into architectural details, but this is forcing me to learn how to use this new camera.

This grapevine detail proves craftsmanship is long gone.

The detail is only about three inches wide and runs in the center of the pilasters in this chapel built in the early 1920s. If you look close, you can see the vertical line running on the pilasters.

Sorry for the blown-out windows, I'm still learning the camera.document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:35 PM   #2

Nice, unusual post. Thanks for sharing.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:46 PM   #3

Congratulations! You have figured out the purpose of this forum! We are all here to learn new ideas and techniques and to have our successes and failures critiqued. We've all been there-done that. Those of us with more experience have made the mistakes and experienced the problems that you newcomers are experiencing. Thank you for joining us.

As for your photos, they are very good. Your closup of what appears to be a decorative wiring conduit could use some help with depth of field. The lower part is sharp but the upper part is not. To correct or avoid this problem, you need to use a small aperture (large f-stop). If you use aperture priority, set the f-stop to f16, f22, or larger (smaller iris). The camera will will select the correct shutter speed which will be quite slow. Consequently, you will need a tripod.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips.

The shallow depth of field was intentional -F5.6 or something if I recall - just tried to highlight part of the detail and have the rest fade out. I'll have to learn to determine when a shallow depth of field would work and when it doesn't.

-T
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:08 PM   #5

lapstrake,both are equally great, I am just confused which one should score more.One thing I am sure this is a sure winner.My best wishes is with you
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:57 PM   #6

I would just like to remind everyone that there are no winners here. This is not a contest. It is just a friendly place where everyone gets a chance to interpret the challenge and post their photo interpretation. Then everyone is invited to comment.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote