Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:20 PM   #1

This is another part of Cambodia. Near Angkor Wat, this "Floating Village of Chong Kneas" was originally created by refugees who were kicked off their land by the Camere Rouge. Disposessed of land, they found anything that would float and created this village. It seems to be self-contained, with floating vegatable shops, basic stores and even a floating barber shop we saw.

Please allow me to break the rules, a little, here....I really believe this needs 3 images to tell the story. (hope this doesn't get me kicked out!) Also, please let me know if this is getting too much about the world and less about the challenge...I'm sorry, I know I'm a little obsessed with Cambodia right now.....

Anyway, here's the photograghic story.....

These people are very pour. One thing struck me, they almost all had one of these atop their humble dwelling.
Attached Images

Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:21 PM   #2

And here's a typical dwelling unit....
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:22 PM   #3

And, finally, an overall view of just a small portion of the village...maybe, less than a tenth of the whole is visible here....
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:34 PM   #4

Very interesting photos, are those TV antenna?

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:38 PM   #5

Yep!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:56 PM   #6

The three shots are not a problem. Especially since 1 and 2 meet the challenge and 2 and 3 meet the challenge. Two levels of closeup really help to illustrate the scene. I was in Hong Kong about 30 years and there was a large district of shacks on the hill above the city. Many of those shacks had tv antennas!

Great work.

I am curious. What is your interest in Cambodia?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:13 PM   #7

Our Daughter lives and works in Taiwan (last 3 years)....so we visited them and had some side trips to Cambodia and Thailand.

The Cambodian experience was both inspriational, with all the ruins around Angkor Wat, and heart wrenching, with the poverty evident in the cities and places like the floating village. It really makes me appreciate what we have in this country, and feel pretty guilty for it, at the same time.

For what it's worth, dispite the obvious lack of "stuff" for the people in Cambodia, they displayed an amazing zest for life and are really happy, energetic people, working hard to improve their conditions. I grew ot admire them, alot! They have amazing programs in place to teach skills to their people to improve their conditions.

It was difficult to see the city streets, that sometimes still looked like Vietnam-era bombs landed there yesterday, mixed with the new areas, like the Vegas-like strip of 5 star Hotels that have sprung up around Angkor Wat, to feed the tourists.

Finally, when you realize that this civilization was creating places like Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, and the other cities off similar scale, at the same time that the Roman Empire was in serious decline, it starts to evoke a global understanding that people are really all the same, and we should consider our planetary co-occupants with more consideration than we have, historically.

This was my first Asian experience. It was wonderful!

I hope this explains your question. Thanks for asking.

Kita.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:22 PM   #8

A shackwas the last thing I expected to see on the wide shot!

Thanks for sharing.
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:24 PM   #9

Great shots, Kita. I would assume that their TV is battery operated.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:43 AM   #10

I keep coming back to these shots wondering what type of plumbing these folks have, I'm guessing the water is pretty polluted.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote