Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:52 AM   #1

Now that I have your full attention, here is the prominent feature above the entrance to an old church in Taormina, Sicily. Note that the queen has beheaded the king, which is a puzzling scene to put on a church. Yes, the babes and boobs are there as well. Does anyone know the story behind this by any chance?

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:54 AM   #2

An the full view of the church in this town that has a spectacular view of the ocean, about 3,000 feet below.

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:48 AM   #3

I'll bet there's an interesting story there. Great shots.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:49 PM   #4

I agree there is an interesting story there but what is it? The Roman Catholic Church has a very sordid past and perhaps this is documentation of many travesties sanctioned by the ancient Papacy?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:12 PM   #5

First of all I must say, "dude, you get around!"

I lovethesepictures, very interesting. And I love seeing all of the places you have been, how lucky you are.

Debbie
gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:50 PM   #6

Thank you, Debbie. Yes, I love the travel perks of my work which is mainly limited to the USA. The international travel has come through the generosity of my daughter and son-in-law who, strangely enough, want me along on their cruises.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:15 PM   #7

I'll have a go at the story...

If this is the Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria, then perhaps the sculpture depicts her life. A lot of art and sculpture uses icons to tellstories, so here goes..

Santa Caterina was of noble birth - hense the crown on her head.

As a young girl of 18, she confronted the emperor about hispagonfaith and later won a debateagainst 50 philosophers, ultimately converting them and the Emeror's wife to Christianity. They were all sentenced to death. The Emperor was upset so he sentenced Catherine to death by spiked wheels. With a single touchshe broke the wheels and was not harmed, so she was thenbeheded with a sword - hense the sword she holds in the statue.

The Emperor's head at her feet could be a symbol of her martyrdom, afterall, shewas able toconquer the Emperor in every debate.

To the right of her feet(her left) in your photo, you can see part of the wheel that was used in anattempt to torture her (a very popular item that appears with most paintings of her).

Angels were said to carry her away after her execution - probably depicted by the cherubs next to her.

If you could get closer, she probably has a martyr's palm and ring symbolizing her"marriage" to Christ. She's often seen with a book as well, depicting her educational status.

Just my guess.

Hey, seven college courses in Art History are finally good for something.... 16 years later!
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:09 AM   #8

lapstrake wrote:
Quote:
I'll have a go at the story...

Just my guess.

Hey, seven college courses in Art History are finally good for something.... 16 years later!
:shock::shock:Wow, that's one heck of a guess. I'm impressed!! I guess you just never know what you are going to learn each day. Thanks for the info lapstrake!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:38 PM   #9

I guessed on some parts, such as the meaning of the detached head at her feet, but the other icons - crown, wheel, sword - are fact. Her story is "true". Of course, around 1969 the Pope eliminated the Feast of St. Caternina because her story could not be backed up with fact.

Anyway, this is a photography forum so I'll shut up now.
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote