Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:10 PM   #1

These two pictures are scanned 35mm slides taken on our honeymoon in 1984.

The first shot shows (poorly) a view of Mt. Rushmore though the window of a building containing a scale model of the sculpture. The scale model was carved first and then measurements from the model were used in carving the full sized monument. I must admit that a great deal of post-processing has been done on this image. Even so, the view of the monument can just barely be made out through the window. In the original shot, the building interior was very dark and the window blown out. If I were to do this shot again, today, I would take two separate shots, one exposed for the building interior and one exposed for the window view and combine them in PSP.

This second shot was taken just a few feet away from the first. If you think way outside the box this shot sort of meets the challenge (I hope!) This shot shows a reflection of Mt. Rushmore reflected in the window of the visitor center. You can see me reflected in the center of the window. The blonde in the lower right is my bride.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:09 PM   #2

Interesting place, somewhere I haven't been. No big deal, since I didn't vote for any of those guys.:-) So, who's the better photographer?
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:45 PM   #3

The second one is rather humorous when you look at all the reflections of the people taking photos...
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:01 PM   #4

I love reflections in windows.
gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:24 PM   #5

Cal,

Many years ago, we drove across the US from the east coast to the west coast and included Mt Rushmore. Of course this was when the kids were in middle school. It looked abysmal when we reached there and then lo and behold the clouds parted and Mt Rushmore was there in all its glory.

As usual you're correct, a good copy of the first shot might be possible only with two exposures given the very wide latitude in the lighting.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:06 AM   #6

both are equally good. But my personal choice would be the 2nd one .It gives the new vision to see the thing differently.Only bluish tinge is bothering me.IMHO
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:34 PM   #7

I like both shots.

I can tell there was some thought behind the composition in the first shot!

If that's the scale model they used to create the large sculpture, they forgot to carve the "little guy" standing under Washington's face![img]images/emoticons/grin.gif[/img]
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:55 PM   #8

Nicely done Cal! Reflections are so cool....you never know what kind of surprises await in a reflection!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:10 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. It is interesting to note that I was shooting an old Minolta SRT101A with a 55mm f1.2 lens. I knew practically nothing about photography That was before my mother talked me into taking some classes. My wife was shooting with an Instamatic. She knew nothing about photography at the time.

Since these shots were taken, I have taken numerous classes from Portland Community College and I have tried to teach my wife all that I know. I am now shooting a D100 and she is shooting a D70. She is not quite as good as I am but she shoots some outstanding pictures.

I spent several hours trying to make a good image out of the first photo above after I scanned it. I suppose, if I spent several more hours, I might be able to improve the view through the window. I don't know when or even if I'll ever get back there to reshoot it.

Cal

Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:05 AM   #10

I did some adjustments to the second image. I did a perspective adjustment and tweaked the color balance a bit. I think it looks better now.

Cal